This movie by architectural film studio Factory Fifteen depicts an imagined post-nuclear landscape where a team of researchers are attempting to use fungal technology to soak up the radiation that has infected cities around the world.
Created in association with design studio Unknown Fields, the movie was filmed in locations around the Ukraine and Kazakhstan.
You can see more movies by Factory Fifteen here, including one about robots rioting on the streets of south London that won last year’s RIBA President’s Medals Student Awards and another where the whole of London is a construction site.
Here’s some information from Factory Fifteen:
GAMMA - SYNOPSIS
In a post-nuclear future, when the earth is riddled with radiation, a new urban developer proposes to regenerate the cities back into civilisation. GAMMA sets out to stabilise the atomic mistakes of yesteryear for the re-inhabitation of future generations. Using its patented 'Nuke-Root' technology; part fungi, part mollusc, GAMMA intends to soak up the radiation and remove it from the irradiated cities, rebuilding them in the process.
Setting out from Baikonur, Kazakhstan, GAMMA launches its RIG_01 BETA and heads east to the iconic disaster sites of 1980's USSR. The film follows a group of researchers investigating GAMMA's practice from launch to deployment. Moving through a trail of unsuccessful ships across the desert, we follow the researchers from Aralsk's littered sea bed east to the Ukraine.
GAMMA begins its quest of nuclear stability in the Ukraine; Pripyat is used as a test bed for the deployment of GAMMA's patented 'Nuke-root' organisms. Intended to soak up the radiation, the roots infiltrate the ground and built structures to absorb the ‘nuclear nasty's'. As with many urban developers, GAMMA's execution is cheap and ineffective. The city is in turn rendered more radioactive, broken and uninhabitable than before, only now with an outbreak of growing 'Nuke-roots'. The film follows the researchers through the ruins of the 70's utopia, moving across a whole city that consists solely of desolation and total abandon, the researchers witness the aftermath of GAMMA's almighty cock-up.
GAMMA was filmed in the Ukraine and Kazakhstan in association with the Unknown Fields Division.
- Renovated house turned around to face th…e sun by Architecture Architecture
- School gatehouse built on a strict budge…t by Jonathan Tuckey Design
- Smoking Room by Gianni Botsford Architec…ts is a translucent-concrete garden folly
- SeaOrbiter by Jacques Rougerie
- Harpa Concert and Conference Centre Reyk…javík by Henning Larsen Architects
- OFIS Arhitekti's spotty stadium for FC B…ATE Borisov nears completion
- 8 dwellings, 4 artist studios and 1 reta…il area by Charles-Henri Tachon
- New Institute for Contemporary Art by St…even Holl Architects
- Library and Learning Centre in Vienna by… Zaha Hadid Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories