Air pressure and heat are varied during the glass-blowing process to make sure every one of these lamp by Canadian architect Omer Arbel is unique.
The 28 Series Desk Lamp for Canadian brand Bocci is designed to sit on its coiled-up crochet cable.
See more stories about Arbel's work, including the house he designed for himself, here.
Here's some text from Bocci:
28 is an exploration of fabrication process, which is part of Arbel’s quest for specificity in manufacturing. Instead of designing form itself, here the intent was to design a system that produces form. Arbel developed a system of making with built-in flexibility, resulting in a unique shape in every iteration of the fabrication procedure. Thus, every 28 made is formally different from any other 28 in existence. Individual 28 pieces result from a complex glass blowing technique whereby air pressure is intermittently introduced into and then removed from a glass matrix which is intermittently heated and then rapidly cooled. The result is a distorted spherical shape with a composed collection of inner shapes, one of which is made of opaque milk glass and houses a low voltage (12V, 20W) xenon.
The 28d fixture is designed to sit on a horizontal surface (a desk, table, shelf, or even the floor). It consists of a single illuminated 28 piece wired to a flexible grey crochet memory cable. The cable is intended to be coiled into a sculptural pattern to provide a cushioned surface on which the glass sits.
Blown glass, electrical hardware, crochet memory cable
- CONtradition screens by MICROmacro Lab
- Fleet of robots by The Workers allow t…he public to explore galleries by night
- 100% Norway exhibition to showcase the… country's designers and manufacturers in London
- All Other Things Being Equal by Studio… Jenk
- Twisting barbed wire fence installed b…y Didier Faustino at Cincinnati's Contemporary Arts Center
- Bono's Laser Stage Suit by Moritz Wald…emeyer
- Lovebird tables by Yuki Matsumoto
- Flesh Chair wrapped in squishy rolls o…f fat by Nanna Kiil
- "I wanted to see where sexy ends and g…rotesque begins"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories