Designed in Hackney: today's design icon created in the London borough of Hackney is Jasper Morrison's Crate Series.
The range of yellow-pine storage units with coloured fabric hinges can be used as tables, cabinets and even a spare bed.
They were first presented in Milan back in 2007 by British brand Established & Sons, who are also based in Hackney on Wenlock Road. Morrison's studio was located on Hoxton Square at the time and he's since moved to Kingsland Road in Shoreditch.
Designed in Hackney map:
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Aintree by Tomás Alonso at Vera, Chapte…r One
- My Beautiful Backside by Doshi Levien
- Balloon Chair by h220430 appears to floa…t above the ground
- Davide G Aquini's furniture collection i…s clad in boat decking
- F-Type by Jaguar
- Sneaker Speaker by Ray Kingston Inc.
- S - Chair Transformers by Beton
- Tantalus Dinner by Ioli Sifakaki (more i…mages)
- Francis Bitonti creates pixellated 3D-pr…inted shoes using cellular automation
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories