Designed in Hackney: today's design icon created in the London borough of Hackney is Jasper Morrison's Crate Series.
The range of yellow-pine storage units with coloured fabric hinges can be used as tables, cabinets and even a spare bed.
They were first presented in Milan back in 2007 by British brand Established & Sons, who are also based in Hackney on Wenlock Road. Morrison's studio was located on Hoxton Square at the time and he's since moved to Kingsland Road in Shoreditch.
Designed in Hackney map:
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Proper Coffee's Imperial Drip machine …brews drinks slowly to improve flavour
- Atelier Book Chair by Kana Nakanishi
- Interview: K01 by Marc Newson for Pent…ax
- Cru by Sebastian Bergne
- Punkt. Alarm Clock and Phone by Jasper… Morrison at Dezeen Super Store
- Saving/Space/Vase by Joe Velluto
- Norbert Wangen for Boffi
- Bouroullecs and Heatherwick for Magis
- Work Lamp by Form us with Love
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories