Designed in Hackney: last summer Hackney architects Studio Weave turned an old narrow boat into a floating cinema that toured the canals of east London.
The cinema screen is located inside the largest of two enclosed quarters aboard the vessel and is surrounded by dark curtains that were specially embroidered into triangular pleats.
Twelve wooden seats made from recycled oak tabletops fold into different positions in front of the screen and can be tucked away when not in use.
A quilted canopy decorated with art deco-style illustrations shelters an open deck outside the cinema, which forms an informal foyer for visitors.
The Floating Cinema travelled to various locations around the boroughs of Hackney and Tower Hamlets during its three month season of screening, including a short mooring at Folly For A Flyover, another temporary cinema that was constructed beneath a motorway flyover in Hackney Wick. It is currently located at Bow Locks and is used for private trips.
Studio Weave are located on Saint John’s Church Road in Lower Clapton. You can see more of their projects here.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Pier Fabre suspends red strings over wat…erfall pool for Dripping installation
- Table B by Konstantin Grcic for BD Barce…lona Design
- AVL Glyder by Atelier Van Lieshout for L…ensvelt
- Papillons Graphiques by Chris Waind
- Kink by Osko+Deichmann
- Designed in Hackney: Luminous Lace by Lo…op.pH
- Ron Arad: Restless - "I can't stay still… in one place for too long"
- The Journey of a Drop by Rolf Sachs
- Dezeentalks at [D3] Design Talents: Mark… Braun
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories