Slideshow: Croatian-Austrian design collective Numen/For Use have suspended carpet-lined cocoons from the ceiling of a former church in Pula, Croatia.
Like their earlier installation during the DMY Berlin fair in 2010, the two overlapping funnels are made from several kilometres of adhesive tape wrapped like a web around a skeletal framework.
A four-metre-high ladder lets visitors climb up inside the structure, where the curved and furry red walls create a womb-like interior.
The installation will remain in place until the end of March.
Read more about the webbed installation in Berlin here.
Here's some more text from Numen/For Use:
TUFT is an evolution of the tape concept into a more permanent,self-standing, transferable structure. Adhesive tape is used to generate the primary form of the object. The organic surface of the carpet is later achieved through precise division of the shape in two-dimensional segments, enabling traditional tufting technology. The development and production were executed in a Croatian factory Regeneracija, a former regional industrial giant.
Rough, industrial surface of the back side of the carpet is deliberately exposed to serve as a counterpoint to the invitingly soft, carnal interior. The result is a surreal simultaneous feeling of anxiety and thrill whilst entering into the installation.
The exhibition of the structure at the height of 4 meters in the middle of the former church in Pula, additionally enhances the tension and the sensational perception of the visitor. After the initial caution, the user starts perceiving the functional aspect of the installation, utilizing the softness and sound isolation of the installation and using it as an inward facing collective sofa.
- Dezeen Platform: Jólan van der Wiel
- Purple locket is a digital version of th…e traditional heirloom
- Mia Cullin models wooden benches on pian…o stools for Orkester collection
- Cuma and Cross by Takehiro Ando
- Rugs in Plaça de la Virreina by Nanimar…quina
- Wanders launches Mondrian South Beach pr…oject
- Esource by Hal Watts at Show RCA 2012
- The Bombay Sapphire Prize in Milan: vide…o diary day 1
- Studio Siem & Pabon's Fervent Carpet kil…ls dust mites to relieve asthma sufferers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories