Designed in Hackney: today's instalment in our showcase of creative talent from Hackney is interior design brand House of Hackney, who have named both themselves and their collections after places in the London borough they call home.
The Hackney Empire series takes is name from a local theatre and features Victorian-inspired images of parrots, badgers, frogs and other animals playing musical instruments, smoking or drinking cocktails.
The collection includes wallpapers, bed linen and bone china tableware, as well as hand-carved beds and other furniture pieces.
Designers Javvy M Royle and Frieda Gormley founded House of Hackney in April 2011. They have since launched five collections and work in studios on Horton Road, just behind London Fields.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Ikea launches "deliberately low key" c…ollection by Ilse Crawford
- Yen Chen Chang's knitted sensors contr…ol everyday electronic products
- Sebastian Cox pairs coppiced chestnut …and ash for furniture collection
- Insect-infused Jungle Bars are boosted… with powdered cricket protein
- A Million Times by Humans Since 1982
- Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark artw…ork by Peter Saville and Tom Skipp
- Fiona Paxton at The Temporium
- Rotterdam Chair by Hella Jongerius
- 11 of the best designs for coffee-love…rs
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories