A spiralling concrete staircase winds up through this empty tower by Marra + Yeh Architects of Sydney and Malaysia.
Constructed beside a three-storey Malaysian house, the tower simply provides a stairwell to connect each of the building's floors.
A series of small openings create concentrated rectangles of light along the walls, while more daylight filters in through a spiral of speckled perforations in the roof.
Swirls of white render cover the exterior walls.
Photography is by Brett Boardman.
Here's a little more text from Marra + Yeh Architects:
The Spiral by Marra + Yeh Architects
Connecting three levels of a multi-generational home the spiral concerns both the poetic and the pragmatic.
The skill and delicate craft of traditional boat builders was enlisted to build the curving tapering form. The spiral contains the freedom of our movements, addressing the interaction of people with their environment, a vessel to enrich our daily rituals.
- Ferson house by Collectiv4
- House on the Cliff by Fran Silvestre Arq…uitectos
- Spiralab by KINO Architects
- Kairos Pavilion by João Quintela and Ti…m Simon
- Funeral Chapel in Ingelheim Frei-Weinhei…m by Bayer & Strobel Architekten
- Dynamic Architecture in Dubai
- Private House by Rui Grazina
- The Dynamic D*Haus by The D*Haus Company
- Maggie’s South West Wales by Kisho Kur…okawa and Garbers & James
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories