A spiralling concrete staircase winds up through this empty tower by Marra + Yeh Architects of Sydney and Malaysia.
Constructed beside a three-storey Malaysian house, the tower simply provides a stairwell to connect each of the building's floors.
A series of small openings create concentrated rectangles of light along the walls, while more daylight filters in through a spiral of speckled perforations in the roof.
Swirls of white render cover the exterior walls.
Photography is by Brett Boardman.
Here's a little more text from Marra + Yeh Architects:
The Spiral by Marra + Yeh Architects
Connecting three levels of a multi-generational home the spiral concerns both the poetic and the pragmatic.
The skill and delicate craft of traditional boat builders was enlisted to build the curving tapering form. The spiral contains the freedom of our movements, addressing the interaction of people with their environment, a vessel to enrich our daily rituals.
- Blue Plan for Copenhagen Harbour by Tr…edje Natur and PK3
- Yotsuya Tenera by Key Operation
- 3D2Real by ILEK students
- The Modern Seaweed House by Vandkunste…n and Realdania Byg
- Blockhouse by AZL Architects
- Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2008 by Fr…ank Gehry
- Asphalt Spot by R&Sie
- Contemporary arts centre on a Portugue…se isle contrasts volcanic stone with concrete
- Ark House by Axis Mundi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories