A spiralling concrete staircase winds up through this empty tower by Marra + Yeh Architects of Sydney and Malaysia.
Constructed beside a three-storey Malaysian house, the tower simply provides a stairwell to connect each of the building's floors.
A series of small openings create concentrated rectangles of light along the walls, while more daylight filters in through a spiral of speckled perforations in the roof.
Swirls of white render cover the exterior walls.
Photography is by Brett Boardman.
Here's a little more text from Marra + Yeh Architects:
The Spiral by Marra + Yeh Architects
Connecting three levels of a multi-generational home the spiral concerns both the poetic and the pragmatic.
The skill and delicate craft of traditional boat builders was enlisted to build the curving tapering form. The spiral contains the freedom of our movements, addressing the interaction of people with their environment, a vessel to enrich our daily rituals.
- Diamond Arena by Atelier 11
- Children’s Hospital Zurich by Herzog… & de Meuron
- House Wiva by Open Y Office
- Marjan Hessamfar & Joe Verons Associat…es completes child welfare facility in Paris
- TYIN Tegnestue's lopsided house extens…ion creates extra space upstairs
- Smart Design Studio adds concrete exte…nsion and pool to dilapidated Sydney villa
- Rue Space's Casa #20 features a four-t…iered facade of translucent glass
- Design Miami temporary structure by Ar…anda\Lasch
- The Louwman Museum by Michael Graves &… Associates
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories