Milan 2012: Hackney-based organisation Technology Will Save Us believe everyone should understand how simple devices work, so at the Hacked Lab in Milan they hosted workshops that included a lesson in building an electronic musical instrument.
Groups were each given a pack of electrical components and taught how to assemble and solder them together.
Once complete, each Lumiphone emits a variety of buzzing sounds that can be used for impromptu performances.
In other workshops, groups were shown how to build a sensor that responds to the needs of thirsty plants.
Hacked Lab took place at La Rinascente department store in Milan from 17 to 22 April. Click here to see all our stories about the events hosted there.
Technology Will Save Us manufacture all the kits for their workshops from their studio on Mare Street, Hackney.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
Movie is by Alice Masters.
- Invert Footwear by Elisa van Joolen
- From the Knees of my Nose to the Belly o…f my Toes by Alex Chinneck
- Sang Yoon exaggerates garments with plas…tic sleeves for Central Saint Martins collection
- Medusa, Chinita and Bellota wicker lamps… by Claesson Koivisto Rune
- Furniture by Tierney Haines
- I was a teenager in the... by Fandango P…rojects
- Great Indoors Awards winners
- California Pastoral by Jeremy Quinn
- Naoto Fukasawa designs streamlined Infob…ar A03 smartphone for KDDI
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories