Milan 2012: Hackney-based organisation Technology Will Save Us believe everyone should understand how simple devices work, so at the Hacked Lab in Milan they hosted workshops that included a lesson in building an electronic musical instrument.
Groups were each given a pack of electrical components and taught how to assemble and solder them together.
Once complete, each Lumiphone emits a variety of buzzing sounds that can be used for impromptu performances.
In other workshops, groups were shown how to build a sensor that responds to the needs of thirsty plants.
Hacked Lab took place at La Rinascente department store in Milan from 17 to 22 April. Click here to see all our stories about the events hosted there.
Technology Will Save Us manufacture all the kits for their workshops from their studio on Mare Street, Hackney.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
Movie is by Alice Masters.
- Stereotype by Daizi Zheng
- Rubikon Pinhole Rebel by Jaroslav Juřic…a
- Great Orwell book covers by David Pearso…n
- Freedom of Creation in Milan
- 250 Series by Uniform Wares at Dezeen Wa…tch Store
- 3D-woven fabric creates organically shap…ed lamps that glow in the dark
- V4 vases by Seung-Yong Song
- Table with a View by Anke Weiss
- Nathalie Dackelid's "wooden tablecloth" …folds out to form table extensions
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories