German architects J. Mayer H. have completed the first two of 20 roadside service stations for a new highway running from Azerbaijan to Turkey, through Georgia.
The huge concrete structures shelter petrol filling stations and stretch around glass walls that enclose supermarkets, farmers' markets and exhibitions for arts and crafts.
Construction is also now underway on a third.
J. Mayer H. have completed a number of infrastructure projects in Georgia over the last few years, including an airport, a border checkpoint and police station - see them all here.
Photography is by Jesko M. Johnsson-Zahn.
Here's a little more information from the architects:
Rest Stops in Georgia
Completion of Construction
In 2009 Head of Roads Department of Georgia commissioned J. MAYER H. to design a system of 20 Rest Stops for the new highway which will run through Georgia and connect the Republic of Azerbaijan with the Republic of Turkey.
Two Rest Stops have been completed while a third one is under construction.
The new Rest Stops are located on selected scenic viewpoints and serve as activators for their area and neighbouring cities, including not only gas station and supermarket, but also a farmers market and a cultural space for local arts and crafts.
J. MAYER H. Architects
Project Team: Juergen Mayer H., Paul Angelier, Jesko Malkolm Johnsson-Zahn, Marcus Blum, Guy Levy
Preliminary Design: 2009, Completion: 2011
Function: Rest Stop
Clients: JSC Wissol Petroleum Georgia / Socar Georgia Petroleum
Location: Gori / Lochini, Georgia
Architects on Site: Kobulieli and Partners / Ltd."Alioni 99"
- R432 by Rojkind Arquitectos
- Black house in Osaka by Coo Planning fea…tures a basic plywood interior
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Isay Weinfel…d
- Pormetxeta Square by Xpiral and MTM Arqu…itectos
- The Guangyun Entrance by Plasma Studio
- The Cave by Gonzalo Vaíllo Martínez
- A House Made of Two by Akio Nakasa
- Snøhetta's revamped Hudøy boathouse of…fers shelter to summer campers
- Offshore torpedo base in Poland to be tr…ansformed by MFRMGR into a water sports hub
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories