Milan 2012: when MoMA curator Paola Antonelli visited Dezeen Studio she spoke to Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs about shows in Milan that addressed the making process, rather than the finished products normally shown at the fair. In this movie she discusses the new focus on experimentation and performance in design as technology becomes more accessible and a new wave of creativity takes hold.
Projects discussed include Hacked Lab at La Rinascente where designers cooked up plastic in saucepans, R18 Ultra Chair Public Beta by Clemens Weisshaar and Reed Kram for Audi that uses technology from the car industry to test a design in public, Dirk Vander Kooij's robot that prints chairs made of recycled fridges and the open-source Arduino chip for developing electronic products.
We published an abridged version of this interview in our Wednesday TV show (below).
- Sosia by Emanuele Magini for Campeggi
- Fragile Beasts sculpture made from pap…er by Łódź University of Technology students
- Ex Libris by Chanan de Lange
- A Scent bottle by Arik Levy for Issey …Miyake
- One Percent Water exhibition at Z33 Ar…t Centre
- Gitta Gschwendtner at Wellcome Collect…ion 2
- Met exhibition highlights fashion's ob…session with Chinese arts and design
- A Shelf of Tables is three desks in on…e shelving unit
- Oogst 1000 Wonderland by Tjep.
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories