Designed in Hackney: we're stepping into the fashion world for Designed in Hackney this week, showcasing fashion designers who are based in the borough every day. We start with Gareth Pugh's sculptural designs for new ballet Carbon Life, which had its premier at the Royal Opera House last month.
With choreography by Wayne McGregor and music by producer Mark Ronson, the ballet is a modern fusion of pop, dance and fashion, with Pugh's graphic designs distorting the body into architectural forms.
Known for his dark and theatrical creations, Pugh found success through east-London design initiative Fashion East not long after graduating from Central Saint Martins in 2003. He now has a studio in Dalston.
Photography is by Bill Cooper, courtesy of ROH.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Love With You music video by Harald Hara…ldsson
- Barber and Osgerby's giant rotating mirr…ors reflect Raphael paintings inside the V&A
- Backstage – A Sideview on the Moroso D…esign Collection at Gallery 113
- New Danish Modern by Normann Copenhagen
- Philippe Malouin's Hanger Chair goes int…o production with Umbra Shift
- Wooden Giants by PostlerFerguson
- Deptford Design Market Challenge
- Architectural Review redesign by Alexand…er Boxill
- Bote by Big-Game for Materia
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories