Designed in Hackney: we're stepping into the fashion world for Designed in Hackney this week, showcasing fashion designers who are based in the borough every day. We start with Gareth Pugh's sculptural designs for new ballet Carbon Life, which had its premier at the Royal Opera House last month.
With choreography by Wayne McGregor and music by producer Mark Ronson, the ballet is a modern fusion of pop, dance and fashion, with Pugh's graphic designs distorting the body into architectural forms.
Known for his dark and theatrical creations, Pugh found success through east-London design initiative Fashion East not long after graduating from Central Saint Martins in 2003. He now has a studio in Dalston.
Photography is by Bill Cooper, courtesy of ROH.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Claesson Koivisto Rune extends its W131a…luminium lighting range for Wästberg
- Ruhrsteine by Formfjord
- CATable by Hao Ruan offers a shared work… surface for cats and their owners
- Colour Glass by Scholten & Baijings for …Hay
- Rubber by TAF Arkitektkontor for Zero
- Sebastian Cox pairs coppiced chestnut an…d ash for furniture collection
- Pitt-Pollaro furniture collection by Bra…d Pitt
- Najah, Lazara and Ilham by Anne-Cécile …Rappa
- Richard Sapper "wanted to design a multi…-sensorial kettle" for Alessi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories