Designed in Hackney: these chandeliers by Hackney designer Stuart Haygarth were painstakingly assembled from found objects like discarded spectacles, plastic bottles or party-poppers.
Haygarth has been making chandeliers since 2005, when he first presented Tide (above), made of debris washed up on Dungeness Beach in southeast England.
Optical (above) is made of 3,000 unwanted prescription spectacle lenses and was created for the Trash Luxe exhibition at Liberty in London in 2007, which was curated by Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs.
Later in 2007 Haygarth made Drop (above), a water droplet-shaped chandelier made of discarded plastic water bottles. Read more about Drop here and scroll down for an interview we filmed with Haygarth at Design Miami in 2007, where he presented the piece.
The chandelier above, made of spectacle frames, was created for an exhibition held at the Haunch of Venison gallery in London in 2009.
Millennium (above) is made of spent party-poppers collected after the new year's celebrations in London in 2000.
His 2007 piece Spectacle (above) is made of 1020 pairs of spectacles.
Haygarth's studio is near Haggerston Park.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
Movie: Stuart Haygarth at Design Miami 2007
- Instrumented Bodies by Joseph Malloch …and Ian Hattwick
- Matteo Fogale and Laetitia de Allegri …present furniture made from old jeans, paper and cotton
- Joel Karlsson designs pebble-shaped pe…ndant lights for Örsjö Belysning
- Santos chair by Joel Escalona
- New editions of Minuteman watch by Squ…arestreet arrive at Dezeen Watch Store
- Ratchet Furniture by Harry Hasson
- Well Done: a food company annual repor…t that has to be cooked first
- Marine Light by Nir Meiri
- Nike combines Flyknit and 3D printing …to design American football boots
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories