Dezeen Wire: the ArcelorMittal Orbit sculpture at the Olympic Park (above) and the restoration of historic tea clipper the Cutty Sark are included in the shortlist for the 2012 Carbuncle Cup, awarded by Building Design magazine to the ugliest building completed in the UK in the last 12 months.
The six competing for the title are:
» Firepool Lock Housing, Taunton, by Andrew Smith Architects
» Titanic Belfast museum by Todd Architects and Civic Arts
» Mann Island, Liverpool, by Broadway Malyan
» ArcellorMittal Orbit, Olympic Park, London, by Anish Kapoor and Cecil Balmond
» Cutty Sark renovation, London, by Grimshaw Architects
» Shard End Library, Birmingham, by Idp Partnership
Above: Cutty Sark by Grimshaw
The winner will be announced on 24 August.
The release of this list coincides with the announcement of the shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, awarded to the best building by a British-registered architect. See the six Stirling Prize contenders here.
- Jean Nouvel's Barcelona Hotel has leaf…y windows and a plant-filled atrium
- Cedar cladding frames an extension to …The Runners House by AR Design Studio
- The Bucky Bar by DUS Architecten and S…tudio for Unsolicited Architecture
- SANAA Houses
- Archery Hall and Boxing Club by FT Arc…hitects
- Shophouse Transformation by all(zone)
- Y house by Beijing Matsubara and Archi…tects
- Interview: Alan Stanton on the Stirlin…g Prize-winning Sainsbury Laboratory
- Heatherwick's textured-tower universit…y building completes in Singapore
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories