Dezeen Wire: the ArcelorMittal Orbit sculpture at the Olympic Park (above) and the restoration of historic tea clipper the Cutty Sark are included in the shortlist for the 2012 Carbuncle Cup, awarded by Building Design magazine to the ugliest building completed in the UK in the last 12 months.
The six competing for the title are:
» Firepool Lock Housing, Taunton, by Andrew Smith Architects
» Titanic Belfast museum by Todd Architects and Civic Arts
» Mann Island, Liverpool, by Broadway Malyan
» ArcellorMittal Orbit, Olympic Park, London, by Anish Kapoor and Cecil Balmond
» Cutty Sark renovation, London, by Grimshaw Architects
» Shard End Library, Birmingham, by Idp Partnership
Above: Cutty Sark by Grimshaw
The winner will be announced on 24 August.
The release of this list coincides with the announcement of the shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, awarded to the best building by a British-registered architect. See the six Stirling Prize contenders here.
- Haus KLR renovation by Archequipe
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Li Xiaodong
- Hiedaira House by Thomas Daniell Studio
- Softly contoured interiors lend cave-lik…e aesthetic to lakeside cabin
- Concrete den by Welsh + Major nestles in… a Sydney garden
- Herzog & de Meuron uses rammed earth to …create countryside herb centre for Ricola
- Ant House by mA-style architects
- Agricultural Mountain by Grupo IUT
- The Orangery by Liddicoat & Goldhill
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories