Dezeen Wire: the ArcelorMittal Orbit sculpture at the Olympic Park (above) and the restoration of historic tea clipper the Cutty Sark are included in the shortlist for the 2012 Carbuncle Cup, awarded by Building Design magazine to the ugliest building completed in the UK in the last 12 months.
The six competing for the title are:
» Firepool Lock Housing, Taunton, by Andrew Smith Architects
» Titanic Belfast museum by Todd Architects and Civic Arts
» Mann Island, Liverpool, by Broadway Malyan
» ArcellorMittal Orbit, Olympic Park, London, by Anish Kapoor and Cecil Balmond
» Cutty Sark renovation, London, by Grimshaw Architects
» Shard End Library, Birmingham, by Idp Partnership
Above: Cutty Sark by Grimshaw
The winner will be announced on 24 August.
The release of this list coincides with the announcement of the shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, awarded to the best building by a British-registered architect. See the six Stirling Prize contenders here.
- David Adjaye pavilion unveiled
- The Village by Gert Robijns
- The Long Studio by Threefold Architects
- Welham Studio by Mark Merer
- Todd Saunders' self-designed home is rai…sed on stilts to cover outdoor areas
- Lascaux IV: Cave Painting Centre by Snø…hetta, Duncan Lewis and Casson Mann
- De Rotterdam by OMA
- Zaha Hadid uses concrete and cantilevers… for Issam Fares Institute in Beirut
- Project X by René van Zuuk
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories