Dezeen Wire: the ArcelorMittal Orbit sculpture at the Olympic Park (above) and the restoration of historic tea clipper the Cutty Sark are included in the shortlist for the 2012 Carbuncle Cup, awarded by Building Design magazine to the ugliest building completed in the UK in the last 12 months.
The six competing for the title are:
» Firepool Lock Housing, Taunton, by Andrew Smith Architects
» Titanic Belfast museum by Todd Architects and Civic Arts
» Mann Island, Liverpool, by Broadway Malyan
» ArcellorMittal Orbit, Olympic Park, London, by Anish Kapoor and Cecil Balmond
» Cutty Sark renovation, London, by Grimshaw Architects
» Shard End Library, Birmingham, by Idp Partnership
Above: Cutty Sark by Grimshaw
The winner will be announced on 24 August.
The release of this list coincides with the announcement of the shortlist for the RIBA Stirling Prize, awarded to the best building by a British-registered architect. See the six Stirling Prize contenders here.
- Musée des Beaux-arts in Reims by David …Chipperfield Architects
- Sugamo Shinkin Bank by Emmanuelle Mourea…ux
- Small House with Big Spiral Staircase by… Avehideshi Architects
- Bauhaus Masters' Houses reinterpreted by… Bruno Fioretti Marquez
- Snøhetta reveals sinuous hotel for a No…rwegian island
- Translucent glass concert hall designed …by Barozzi Veiga with a jagged roofline
- The Interlace by OMA and Ole Scheeren ne…ars completion
- Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum by Zaha …Hadid Architects
- The architecture of Simón Vélez pionee…rs "new ways of using giant bamboo"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories