The Balloon lamp is made of translucent polyethylene and has a red string hanging down that switches between bright lighting, softer lighting and off modes when you tug it.
The project won a Silver Delta Award for industrial design at FADfest in Barcelona.
Read more about the Delta Awards and see the winning design, a bike that grows with your child, in our earlier story. See a nest of tables that also won a silver award here and a rug made of espadrille soles that was shortlisted here.
Here's some more information from the award organisers:
The Balloon lamp collection by Estiluz was inspired by the memories of both adult and kid generations. We all remember losing a balloon we were holding in our hands, don’t we? In this case, the balloon doesn’t drift off into the sky, because it finds its home on your ceiling or wall and gives out light to brighten your rooms.
Balloon features ceiling and wall versions. To give these pieces the ethereal appearance desired, the shade is made of brushed polyethylene, a translucent material that hides an energy saving fluorescent bulb.
What’s more, a fine red cable hangs from the shade, serving as a switch in the wall version, offering general lighting, night-light and off positions. The night-light is a 0,5W LED bulb that will gently light up dark areas and will guide and comfort us during the night.
- Dolly by Ross McBride for Normann Copenh…agen
- Crystallisation water dress by Iris van …Herpen
- Buoy by TAF for Zero
- Jaime Hayón at Spazio Rossana Orlandi
- Wave-shaped clothes rails keep items eve…nly spaced
- HU by Ross Lovegrove for Issey Miyake
- Maarten Baas named Design Miami/ Designe…r of the Year
- Alumi by Industrial Facility at Pop-Down
- Maarten Baas at Via Voghera 8 in Milan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories