The Balloon lamp is made of translucent polyethylene and has a red string hanging down that switches between bright lighting, softer lighting and off modes when you tug it.
The project won a Silver Delta Award for industrial design at FADfest in Barcelona.
Read more about the Delta Awards and see the winning design, a bike that grows with your child, in our earlier story. See a nest of tables that also won a silver award here and a rug made of espadrille soles that was shortlisted here.
Here's some more information from the award organisers:
The Balloon lamp collection by Estiluz was inspired by the memories of both adult and kid generations. We all remember losing a balloon we were holding in our hands, don’t we? In this case, the balloon doesn’t drift off into the sky, because it finds its home on your ceiling or wall and gives out light to brighten your rooms.
Balloon features ceiling and wall versions. To give these pieces the ethereal appearance desired, the shade is made of brushed polyethylene, a translucent material that hides an energy saving fluorescent bulb.
What’s more, a fine red cable hangs from the shade, serving as a switch in the wall version, offering general lighting, night-light and off positions. The night-light is a 0,5W LED bulb that will gently light up dark areas and will guide and comfort us during the night.
- Air Heads by Héctor Serrano
- UNStudio's Gemini chair "allows a variet…y of seating positions" for working or lounging
- Dezeen podcast: Dieter Rams at the Desig…n Museum
- Hella Jongerius for Vitra
- Note Design Studio creates Plateau stora…ge unit to keep the hallway tidy
- Paddle by Benjamin Hubert for Fabbian
- Postcarden by A Studio for Design
- Dyson Airblade Tap by Dyson
- Core77 guide to New York design week
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories