Dezeen Wire: in an article for Domus magazine, design critic Justin McGuirk examines the social and physical decline of London's social housing, discussing the part played by luxury real-estate developers and how architects have been held accountable.
Council housing blocks in Hackney, Newham, and Southwark are cited as examples, as McGuirk calls for the British government to accept responsibility for the city's housing crisis and to work with architects to protect residents from the ruthlessness of the property market.
See also: our interview with McGuirk on the future of design criticism.
- Coloured boxes and plants cover the late…st Sugamo Shinkin Bank by Emmanuelle Moureaux
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: l House by m…oomoo architects
- Traditional British beach huts get a mod…ern makeover from Pedder & Scampton
- Museum of Conflict by Metropolitan Works…hop
- Shingle-clad cultural centre by Modostud…io offers spectacular mountain views
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Toyo Ito
- Superkilen by Bjarke Ingels Group
- TAKA overhauls old Dublin garage to crea…te more living space for Waterloo Lane house
- Festspielgarage Erl by Kleboth Lindinger… Dollnig
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories