This sprinkler by Dutch artist Edwin Deen sprays jets of coloured water to turn a room into a rainbow (+ slideshow + movie).
Deen used a simple garden sprinkler and seven colour pigments to create the small device.
The sprinkler was first shown at the TAG gallery in The Hague and is now on show at Ampelhaus in Rotterdam until 28 August. From 30 August it will be part of exhibition Barry at the W in the W139 gallery in Amsterdam.
We've previously featured a window made of glass prisms which cast rainbows on the floor.
Above image is by Niels Post
Photography is by Edwin Deen except where otherwise stated.
Above image is by Ampelhaus
Here's some more information from the artist:
Edwin Deen, Liquid Rainbow, 2011
Color pigment, an electric tap, a few metres of hose and a plain garden sprinkler. These are the ingredients Edwin Deen used to create something seemingly impossible: he materialised a rainbow. Liquid Rainbow plays with the tension that occurs when the sun on a rainy day sends its rays to the earth and fills the sky with the elusive promise of a rainbow. The heedless visitor never knows when Liquid Rainbow will enter into force, but when the installation is spraying surprise and joy are never far away. The repetition of the spray movement intensifies the seven colors on the white wall. That change is barely perceptible, but provides 'Liquid Rainbow' with indeed a tangible dimension.
Edwin Deen (1980, Linschoten, NL) is interested in physical processes and the use of everyday objects and base materials. Through experimentation and aesthetic images he emphasises that which we usually neglect in a graceful and attractive, but interesting way. (Text by Lise Lotte ten Voorde.)
- Jorge Penadés creates furniture from wa…ste leather
- Markus Johansson creates fibreglass Loop… Chair from a 3D-printed model
- Penda creates landscape of purple pillar…s for audio-visual installation in a Chinese park
- TV Easel by Axel Bjurström
- Proper Coffee's Imperial Drip machine br…ews drinks slowly to improve flavour
- Roc Apeldoorn interior by Tjep.
- Priestmangoode overhauls aircraft interi…or to include more carry-on luggage space
- Toggle Toggle by Dong-yeop Han
- Shane Schneck's Bollard light is four la…mps in one
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories