The Lustre shades are glazed with a mixture of minerals and precious metals that react unpredictably when fired so that every piece is unique.
They come in four shapes and are the first ceramic lighting pieces from Dixon.
He showed the prototypes at MOST in Milan in April and will launch the products as part of lighting show Luminosity at his headquarters The Dock during the London Design Festival, which takes place from 14 to 23 September.
Watch Dixon give Dezeen a tour of The Dock in our movie filmed earlier this year here or below.
Here's some more information from Tom Dixon:
Lustre is the latest discovery in our continued exploration of extraordinary metallic finishes. The iridescent sheen is created by firing the stoneware shades at 1200°C using a top-secret glaze containing minerals and precious metals. The end result is a striking colour change effect reminiscent of peacock feathers or oil slicks on water.
The handmade process results in a totally unique and unrepeatable finish for each individual object. No two shades look the same as the glaze fixes to the stoneware in an unpredictable way. This produces a wide spectrum of colour across each light, ranging from a pale lime to a deep bottle green. It is this inherent beauty and diversity that we are championing. Each customer owns something different.
The shade reflects and refracts an extraordinary spectrum of colours both internally and when lit from outside. The first stoneware object in our collection, it is available in 4 geometric designs inspired by a collision of Mayan temples and Art Deco constructions.
Available in four shapes: Round, Square, Wedge and Flat.
Movie: Tom Dixon at The Dock
- Alec Issigonis "would be happy that MI…NI is alive and kicking" says BMW design chief
- Purple locket is a digital version of …the traditional heirloom
- Glassware by Peter Zumthor for Alessi
- Movie: Peroni Collaborazioni Talk with… Formafantasma part 2
- Nendo designs Winnie-the-Pooh glasswar…e for Walt Disney Japan
- Arena Homme + by Neville Brody
- RGO2 by Rui Grazina
- AM02 and AM03 Air Multiplier fans by D…yson
- Movie: tour of Design Products at Show… RCA 2012 with Tord Boontje
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories