The forms of this tea service by design graduate Eunjae Lee are based on the components of an engine.
Called Silent Machine, the dark matt pieces are a series of cylinders with details resembling screw threads, nuts, bolts and washers.
Photographs are by the designer.
Here's some more information from Eunjae Lee:
A tea service set, Silent Machine, is composed by functional products reflecting aesthetic interpretations on function-focused forms. Every single object can be identified when it is utilized as a part of the whole. Mathematically formulated silhouettes and details contribute to creating an image of mechanical regularity rather than being emphasized on their ornamentation.
The passing of time remains machines as industrial artifacts. No longer alive, no longer remarkable but the machine-age machines have stories which make them more beautiful than they were.
Machines are growing into more dynamic and intelligent tools around us, and being supplemented and improved by more recent technological advances, although it seems undeniable that their glorious time has vanished and remains a part of history.
The aim of this study was to draw out recast values induced from the passing of time and transitions, and to refigure them under the present sentiment.
Non-aesthetic things are re-illuminated and become emotionally connected with us It can be understand as a retrospective and commemorative intention by relocating our perspectives in the middle of the machine age.
- "We never use strong colours for our t…iles" - Patricia Urquiola
- Dezeen Watch Store: Grow by Andrea Mor…gante for Alessi
- With Robots by Diego Trujillo Pisanty
- I Have a Lifestyle model-kit window in…stallation by Fabio Novembre for Tommy Hilfiger
- Styrene by Paul Cocksedge for the Step…ney Green Design Collection
- Family Stories by Guy Königstein
- Gitta Gschwendtner at Wellcome Collect…ion 2
- Ear Sofa by St Ely for Lerival
- Ring Fibre Chair by Julien Renault
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories