Sailors at the London 2012 Paralympics are using boats fitted out with custom seats, handles and pedal controls.
They compete in mixed events in single-, two-, or three-person boats, which have to be adapted to the needs of each crew member.
Sonar boats for crews of three are made more accessible with transfer benches and bars that help sailors to move around the large boats.
A hand bike pedal system on a swiveling seat can be installed for a helmsman with quadriplegia.
Modifications to the Skud18 two-person boats include custom-moulded bucket seats with electrical controls for tilting and ski-pole steering handles.
Individual 2.4mR boats are designed specifically for each sailor.
The finals of the Paralympic sailing events take place in Weymouth on Thursday 6th September.
Images are by the International Association for Disabled Sailing.
- Nendo's second Draftsman watch is based …on circular stencils
- 100% Inspiration: Nicolas Roope
- 4010-Overdress by Johannes Laue and Joha…nnes Schroth
- Izabela Bołoz's Intersections modules i…nterlock to form street furniture
- The Olympian Architects T-shirt by Peter… Murray at Dezeen Super Store
- Tom Dixon's Cog lights are shaped like m…achine components
- Patricia Urquiola upholsters modular sof…a for Moroso in jersey fabric
- Slow White by Bo Reudler - new pieces
- Rewrite and Etagère de Coin at Ligne Ro…set Westend
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories