Sailors at the London 2012 Paralympics are using boats fitted out with custom seats, handles and pedal controls.
They compete in mixed events in single-, two-, or three-person boats, which have to be adapted to the needs of each crew member.
Sonar boats for crews of three are made more accessible with transfer benches and bars that help sailors to move around the large boats.
A hand bike pedal system on a swiveling seat can be installed for a helmsman with quadriplegia.
Modifications to the Skud18 two-person boats include custom-moulded bucket seats with electrical controls for tilting and ski-pole steering handles.
Individual 2.4mR boats are designed specifically for each sailor.
The finals of the Paralympic sailing events take place in Weymouth on Thursday 6th September.
Images are by the International Association for Disabled Sailing.
- Force Lamp and Boy’s Lamp by Nika Zupa…nc
- Telling Tales at the V&A
- Coming soon: driverless trains, planes a…nd automobiles
- IRIS by BarberOsgerby
- Dezeen Live movie series
- Haunted by 36 Woman by Ted Noten
- Molteni&C Sofa Chats: Matthew Hilton
- The Blue Fence Project by StudioSupernic…he
- Dolly by Ross McBride for Normann Copenh…agen
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories