News: French designer Philippe Starck and Slovenian engineering company Riko will complete their first sustainable prefabricated wooden house this autumn, as part of a new venture to improve housing standards.
The D.E.A.R.S (Democratic Ecological Architecture with Riko by Starck) house models have been designed around nine key principles, which include high energy efficiency, carbon neutrality and affordable timeless design. Each house will integrate technologies like photovoltaic and solar panels, triple glazing and thick insulation made from pulped paper or wooden fibres.
The prototype steel-framed house is under construction in Versailles and will feature five bedrooms, a combined kitchen, dining and living area and a terrace and swimming pool.
Following the launch of this house, a variety of customisable models will be made available to order.
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: House K by H…iroyuki Shinozaki Architects
- Phillip Lim boutique by Jamo Associates
- House Antero de Quental by Manuel Maia G…omes
- Woodpeckers by Ström Architects
- Iconic 20th century houses are brought t…o life in Matteo Muci's short animation
- Three houses in Meco by DNSJ.arq
- Large Roof House by Architect Cafe
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: House M by A…E5 partners
- Scrap Skyscraper by Projeto Coletivo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories