The development, at the NDSM shipyard in the Dutch city's port area, will be Boxpark's second container mall, following the opening of its Shoreditch retail park in London last December.
Boxpark NDSM will feature 120 containers on two levels and sheltered under the 30m-high roof of the shipyard's vast, disused Lasloods building, which was originally housed entire ships while final welding and fitting was carried out.
The development will open to the public in summer 2012 and will trade from Friday to Sunday only as the former shipyard, which hosts regular markets and festivals, is a popular weekend destination for young people. The project is being developed in conjunction with property investment giant Corio.
The units will be arranged in a C shape and will house independent shops, bars, restaurants and galleries while open areas within the Lasloods building will be used for events.
The London development, described as "the world's first pop-up mall", features 60 retail units housed in containers on two levels but is open to the elements, meaning trade is affected during bad weather.
Boxpark founder Roger Wade told Dezeen that Boxpark NDSM's indoor location means it can host concerts and other events regardless of the weather."It's inspired by Covent Garden," he said. "It's inspired by Italian piazzas."
Ground floor plan - click above for larger image
Plans are being drawn up to add fabric awnings to protect shoppers at the Shoreditch mall to overcome problems when it rains. The retail mix at Boxpark in London is also being revised to attract more female shoppers after criticisms that current brands are too male-oriented. There have also been criticisms at the lack of independent retailers in the park.
First floor plan - click above for larger image
The London mall is located on vacant land next to the recently opened Shoreditch station and has a five-year lease on the site.
- Catholic Church in Geroldswil by Stemmle… Architekten
- Dailai Conference Hall by Vo Trong Nghia… Architects
- BIG reveals sunken recycling centre belo…w terrain for joggers and snowboarders
- Five houses by Carlos Ciravegna cantilev…er out from a rocky hillside in Argentina
- New Pinterest board: residential extensi…ons
- Wall House by And'rol
- United States Land Port of Entry in Cala…is by Robert Siegel Architects
- Social housing with solid stone walls by… Perraudin Architecture
- Solar-powered housing by Louise Braverma…n accommodates medical staff in an African village
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories