The development, at the NDSM shipyard in the Dutch city's port area, will be Boxpark's second container mall, following the opening of its Shoreditch retail park in London last December.
Boxpark NDSM will feature 120 containers on two levels and sheltered under the 30m-high roof of the shipyard's vast, disused Lasloods building, which was originally housed entire ships while final welding and fitting was carried out.
The development will open to the public in summer 2012 and will trade from Friday to Sunday only as the former shipyard, which hosts regular markets and festivals, is a popular weekend destination for young people. The project is being developed in conjunction with property investment giant Corio.
The units will be arranged in a C shape and will house independent shops, bars, restaurants and galleries while open areas within the Lasloods building will be used for events.
The London development, described as "the world's first pop-up mall", features 60 retail units housed in containers on two levels but is open to the elements, meaning trade is affected during bad weather.
Boxpark founder Roger Wade told Dezeen that Boxpark NDSM's indoor location means it can host concerts and other events regardless of the weather."It's inspired by Covent Garden," he said. "It's inspired by Italian piazzas."
Ground floor plan - click above for larger image
Plans are being drawn up to add fabric awnings to protect shoppers at the Shoreditch mall to overcome problems when it rains. The retail mix at Boxpark in London is also being revised to attract more female shoppers after criticisms that current brands are too male-oriented. There have also been criticisms at the lack of independent retailers in the park.
First floor plan - click above for larger image
The London mall is located on vacant land next to the recently opened Shoreditch station and has a five-year lease on the site.
- Telus Sky by BIG with Dialog
- Eva Jiřičná, Richard Meier and John P…awson recruited for village-like development near Prague
- House MJ, Novo Mesto, by Kombinat
- House on the outskirts of Brussels by Sa…myn and Partners
- A-Lab adds pixelated tower with a hollow… centre to Oslo's new waterfront development
- Bridge Studio by Saunders Architecture
- Kilo pitches giant camel-hair tent outsi…de Jean Nouvel's Institut du Monde Arabe in Paris
- Casa Martos by Adamo-Faiden
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: House I by Y…oshichika Takagi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories