Officially the award was given to architects Wilkinson Eyre for the cooled conservatories, but at the ceremony director Paul Finch explained that they wanted to recognise the entire project team, which includes landscape architects Grant Associates and engineers Atelier One and Atelier Ten.
The enormous garden is the largest and first to complete of three gardens at the 101-hectare site beside the marina in downtown Singapore.
The two shell-shaped conservatories within the garden are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world. One accommodates flowers from Mediterranean regions, while the other is filled with tropical plants and a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre right next to the winning Gardens by the Bay. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- Untitled #158 by Aeneas Wilder
- Harvest Pavilion by Vector Architects
- House D by Bevk Perovic Architects
- Budapest City Hall by Erick van Egeraa…t
- King Abdulaziz Center for Knowledge an…d Culture by Snøhetta
- Álvaro Siza: "Emotion is very importa…nt" in architecture
- Black brick house in the woods by Take…ro Shimazaki and Charlie Luxton
- Ílhavo Maritime Museum Extension by A…RX Portugal
- OMA's Fondazione Prada art centre open…s in Milan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories