Officially the award was given to architects Wilkinson Eyre for the cooled conservatories, but at the ceremony director Paul Finch explained that they wanted to recognise the entire project team, which includes landscape architects Grant Associates and engineers Atelier One and Atelier Ten.
The enormous garden is the largest and first to complete of three gardens at the 101-hectare site beside the marina in downtown Singapore.
The two shell-shaped conservatories within the garden are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world. One accommodates flowers from Mediterranean regions, while the other is filled with tropical plants and a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre right next to the winning Gardens by the Bay. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- Designed in Hackney: Dirty House by Davi…d Adjaye
- Lake Cottage with mirrored entrance by U…Ufie
- Beach House Mornington by Clare Cousins
- SunnyHills cake shop by Kengo Kuma encas…ed within intricate timber lattice
- Schneider+Schumacher's church based on m…otorway signage looks like Batman
- House in Moreira by Phyd Arquitectura
- Towering copper memorial by Borheh honou…rs an Iranian philosopher
- House of Inclusion by FORM/Kouichi Kimur…a Architects
- Tom Lloyd and Cassion Castle build garde…n studio embracing "timber and craftsmanship"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories