Officially the award was given to architects Wilkinson Eyre for the cooled conservatories, but at the ceremony director Paul Finch explained that they wanted to recognise the entire project team, which includes landscape architects Grant Associates and engineers Atelier One and Atelier Ten.
The enormous garden is the largest and first to complete of three gardens at the 101-hectare site beside the marina in downtown Singapore.
The two shell-shaped conservatories within the garden are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world. One accommodates flowers from Mediterranean regions, while the other is filled with tropical plants and a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre right next to the winning Gardens by the Bay. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- Tickle Cock Bridge underpass by DSDHA
- Zaragoza Bridge Pavilion by Zaha Hadid 2
- Bluetube Bar by Dose
- Takanawa House by Hiroyuki Ito and O.F.D….A. Associates
- La Maison des Petits by Matali Crasset
- Messe Basel New Hall by Herzog & de Meur…on photographed by Hufton + Crow
- A-Art House and C-Art House by Kazuyo Se…jima
- Steel-clad outdoor elevator connects the… city and suburb in Pamplona
- Desert hideaway built among the ruins of… an old miner's shelter in Arizona
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories