Officially the award was given to architects Wilkinson Eyre for the cooled conservatories, but at the ceremony director Paul Finch explained that they wanted to recognise the entire project team, which includes landscape architects Grant Associates and engineers Atelier One and Atelier Ten.
The enormous garden is the largest and first to complete of three gardens at the 101-hectare site beside the marina in downtown Singapore.
The two shell-shaped conservatories within the garden are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world. One accommodates flowers from Mediterranean regions, while the other is filled with tropical plants and a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre right next to the winning Gardens by the Bay. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- House T by Takeshi Hamada
- Vertical Glass House by Atelier FCJZ has… glass floors instead of windows
- House in Hyogo by Shogo Aratani Architec…t & Associates
- Roses IES Cap Norfeu extension by Javier… de las Heras Solé and Bosch Tarrús
- El Greco Museum restoration and extensio…n by Pardo + Tapia Arquitectos
- Faceted ceilings direct sunlight into Sy…dney home by Carter Williamson Architects
- Ryusenji House by Tomoaki Uno Architects
- Yoonseux Architectes' school extension d…esigned to match autumnal tree leaves
- South Chase housing by Alison Brooks Arc…hitects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories