Officially the award was given to architects Wilkinson Eyre for the cooled conservatories, but at the ceremony director Paul Finch explained that they wanted to recognise the entire project team, which includes landscape architects Grant Associates and engineers Atelier One and Atelier Ten.
The enormous garden is the largest and first to complete of three gardens at the 101-hectare site beside the marina in downtown Singapore.
The two shell-shaped conservatories within the garden are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world. One accommodates flowers from Mediterranean regions, while the other is filled with tropical plants and a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre right next to the winning Gardens by the Bay. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- The Yorkshire Diamond Pavilion by Variou…s Architects
- Agbaria House by Ron Fleisher Architects
- MercuryHouseOne by Architecture and Visi…on
- Concrete Voidwall house by AND is punctu…red by glazed incisions
- MM Apartment by Nakae Architects and Ohn…o Japan
- New Pinterest board: balconies
- The Khan Shatyr Entertainment Centre by …Foster + Partners
- Bright white clinic by Ryutaro Matsuura …with concealed windows and patios
- Haworth Tompkins completes renovation of… Denys Lasdun's National Theatre
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories