Officially the award was given to architects Wilkinson Eyre for the cooled conservatories, but at the ceremony director Paul Finch explained that they wanted to recognise the entire project team, which includes landscape architects Grant Associates and engineers Atelier One and Atelier Ten.
The enormous garden is the largest and first to complete of three gardens at the 101-hectare site beside the marina in downtown Singapore.
The two shell-shaped conservatories within the garden are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world. One accommodates flowers from Mediterranean regions, while the other is filled with tropical plants and a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre right next to the winning Gardens by the Bay. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- Green Edge House by mA-style Architect…s has a hidden garden around its perimeter
- The Weather Room by Liddicoat & Goldhi…ll
- New Shenzhen images from OMA
- Cottages at Fallingwater by Patkau Arc…hitects
- Natural History Museum of Utah by Enne…ad Architects with GSBS Architects
- Oak walkway by Levitate inserted into …ruined castle
- Pezo von Ellrichshausen's Casa Cien is… a home and studio with a bumpy concrete finish
- Paris music school by Basalt Architect…ure features copper walls and cantilevered studios
- Gabled extension by BKK Architects bor…rows the form of a doll's house
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories