Officially the award was given to architects Wilkinson Eyre for the cooled conservatories, but at the ceremony director Paul Finch explained that they wanted to recognise the entire project team, which includes landscape architects Grant Associates and engineers Atelier One and Atelier Ten.
The enormous garden is the largest and first to complete of three gardens at the 101-hectare site beside the marina in downtown Singapore.
The two shell-shaped conservatories within the garden are the largest climate-controlled greenhouses in the world. One accommodates flowers from Mediterranean regions, while the other is filled with tropical plants and a 30-metre-high man-made waterfall.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre right next to the winning Gardens by the Bay. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch.
Photography is by Craig Sheppard.
- Capel Manor House Guest Pavilion by Ewan… Cameron Architects
- The New Dance and Music Centre in The Ha…gue by RAU Architects & Powerhouse Company
- Abandoned trailer converted into garden …hideaway by Karel Verstraeten
- 20th Street Residence by SFOSL
- Montpelier Community Nursery by AY Archi…tects
- The Bow by Foster + Partners
- Balmain Archive by Innovarchi
- Masdar City Centre by LAVA
- Nestlé Chocolate Museum by Rojkind Arq.… 2
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories