A floating white box glides through this fashion boutique in Japan designed by Tokyo studio Specialnormal Inc. (+ slideshow).
Located inside a shopping mall in Kobe, the Note et Silence boutique was designed like a stage set, where moving walls and rooms can be used to reconfigure the layout of the space.
"Humour and playfulness were key when we started this project," explained designer Shin Takahashi. "If the box is placed near the entrance, it creates a corridor and a very aggressive atmosphere. If it is placed at the back of the shop, it creates a bigger area. With the effect of the box, the space can be configured for different scenes like a gallery."
Each of the sliding walls is suspended from the ceiling and none of them meet the floor, so the ankles and feet of customers can be spotted moving behind them.
Arched openings denote doorways, while square openings create windows to two sets of display shelves.
Photographs are by Koichi Torimura.
Floor Plan - click for larger image
- Union Restaurant by Aurélie Blanchard
- Bridal Magic by Process5 Design
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Seoul Flagship by Leong …Leong
- RCA graduates in Harvey Nichols windows
- Footwear store interior covered with sta…cked shoe boxes by Move Architects
- Tokyo's Tokyo by Ryo Matsui Architects
- Stella McCartney Las Vegas by APA
- OWEN by Tacklebox
- Burger King Garden Grill by Outofstock
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories