A floating white box glides through this fashion boutique in Japan designed by Tokyo studio Specialnormal Inc. (+ slideshow).
Located inside a shopping mall in Kobe, the Note et Silence boutique was designed like a stage set, where moving walls and rooms can be used to reconfigure the layout of the space.
"Humour and playfulness were key when we started this project," explained designer Shin Takahashi. "If the box is placed near the entrance, it creates a corridor and a very aggressive atmosphere. If it is placed at the back of the shop, it creates a bigger area. With the effect of the box, the space can be configured for different scenes like a gallery."
Each of the sliding walls is suspended from the ceiling and none of them meet the floor, so the ankles and feet of customers can be spotted moving behind them.
Arched openings denote doorways, while square openings create windows to two sets of display shelves.
Photographs are by Koichi Torimura.
Floor Plan - click for larger image
- Món Petit by Miquel Merce Architect and… MSB Workshop
- 2Day Languages by Masquespacio
- Foldaway Bookshop by Campaign
- Hedi Slimane opens Saint Laurent store i…n London
- OMA's Imaginarium hosts lectures in Self…ridges' basement
- Neri&Hu's architecture "challenges the a…ccepted values of society"
- Twin House by Nook Architects
- Inside awards: TwoTwoSix Hollywood Road …by Studioilse
- Google Engineering HQ by PENSON
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories