Reinforcing steel was bent into shapes and welded together to create panels with a variety of patterns adapted from ancient Chinese designs, then hinged together.
The designs aim to contrast the intricate forms often found in oriental decoration and the industrial materials from modern day construction.
MICROmarco Lab exhibited the space dividers in the Caochangdi art district in north-east Beijing during the design week, where lenticular printed maps of the city's hutongs were also shown.
Here's some more information from the designer:
CONtradition by MICROmacro Lab
The use of construction materials complicates a dialogue between ancient Chinese motifs and contemporary furniture design processes.
CONtradition is design research inspired by the reaction generated in the exchange between design identities. Though inspired by traditional Chinese forms, the collection introduces construction materials to furniture design.
Led by the materials employed, the series instigates a dialogue between the roughness and strength of the materials and the elusive elegance of traditional Chinese design motifs. The apparent contradiction between the essentiality of contemporary design and the preciousness of antique style resolves to show that new and old can establish a deep and meaningful conversation.
- Arne Quinze at Burning Man
- Global Warming Rug by NEL for Nanimarqui…na
- Ofon by Nendo for Kokuyo
- Le Soleil by Vicente García Jiménez
- Nika Zupanc bases furniture collection f…or Sé on "an imaginary private sports club"
- Beyond the Body by Imme van der Haak at …Show RCA 2012
- "Working for everybody is a waste of ene…rgy" - Hella Jongerius
- Designed in Hackney: The Floating Cinema… by Studio Weave
- Cubist Vases by Boym Partners
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories