In this movie filmed by Dezeen, Studiomama founder Nina Tolstrup talks about the chair she modified for the Stepney Green Design Collection and how "there are always materials to be found" in east London.
"One of the things that is quite fantastic about the East End is that there are always bits, pieces and materials to be found around, and with a little resourcefulness there's a lot of potential in exploring and finding the beauty in the unloved," says Tolstrup.
The colourful Re-imagined chairs were first created for an interior project that required new designs quickly, so Tolstrup took chairs she "found in [her] local streets in Bethnal Green" and gave them a new lease of life.
She stripped the old chairs down to the frames, which she powder-coated in bright colours then added new backs and seats that were upholstered locally to match.
"It's kind of a full circle: from a chair that was actually from our streets that has found its way back into the Stepney Collection," she says.
The Stepney Green Design Collection consists of 10 products selected by Marcus Fairs of Dezeen from creatives who live near to VIVO, a new housing development in the east London district. The project also includes objects chosen by east London bloggers Pete Stean of Londoneer and Kate Antoniou of Run Riot.
The collection is on show at the Genesis Cinema, 93-95 Mile End Road, Whitechapel, London E1 4UJ, from 10am to 10pm every day until January. After this, the objects will be given to VIVO residents.
See all the items in the Stepney Green Design Collection here and watch the movies we’ve featured so far here. The music featured in the movies is by American designer and musician Glen Lib. You can listen to the full track on Dezeen Music Project.
- Grand cabinets by Mathieu Gustafsson a…nd Niklas Karlsson
- Bow Bins by Cordula Kehrer for Areawar…e
- Dezeen's top 10 cycling designs of 201…4
- ADD System Furniture by Werner Aisslin…ger for Flötotto
- Moooi opens New York showroom to targe…t booming US design market
- Little Romance by Lee Washington
- Partrica Urquiola – Purely Porcelain… at the Design Museum
- Lamp made from model glider materials …by Studio Daniel for Odesi
- Vitsœ relaunches 621 Side Table by Di…eter Rams
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories