The minimal interior of this collaborative office was converted from a coffee-roasting warehouse by Japanese studio TT Architects (+ slideshow).
Located in Kurashiki in Okayama Prefecture, Kawanishi Fam is a flexible workspace for entrepreneurs.
The architects divided the long space into a work area and a meeting area, divided by a glazed screen wall.
At one end of the room, a wooden wall shaped like a small hut disguises the utility area and toilet.
Another project by TT Architects we've featured on Dezeen is a house extension with a covered courtyard inserted into its side.
Other office interiors we've published recently include an workspace that groups employees together in islands of colour and a studio with herringbone parquet over the floors and walls.
Photographs are by Kei Sugino.
Here's some more information from the architects:
This is a creative space for up-and-coming entrepreneurs to exchange ideas, formulate plans and convert this into results. Previously a warehouse used for roasting coffee, these entrepreneurs coordinated a renovation to create a shared space.
The layout encompass individual working spaces; however, open tables without partitions have been used. This achieves the initial aim of creating a space in which members can actively collaborate together in an open manner.
In addition, we have created an open-use meeting space, featuring a large touch-panel display and a utility space including a kitchen and toilet.
A characteristic angled ceiling and a high side light provides soft lighting for an open space.
Above: floor plan
Location: Kurashiki, Okayama, Japan
Clients: Shintaro Ono / Kurashiki Estate
Architects: Teruki Takayoshi / TT Architects
General constructors: Kotaro Meguro / Meguro Construction
Photographer: Kei Sugino
Site area:160.42 sq m
Building area: 104.41 sq m
Total floor area: 439.445 sq m
Structure: steel: 4story
Principal use: collaborative working space
Construction period:May 2012
- Una's Kitchen by Nordic Bros. Design Com…munity
- White Space orthodontic clinic with Cori…an walls by Bureauhub
- Ippolito Fleitz Group installs metal tre…es in natural foods restaurant
- D&V Multibrand Store by Guise
- Skyhouse by David Hotson and Ghislaine V…iñas
- B.E. Architecture's "relaxed" office for… a mortgage broker uses soft lighting and frosted glass
- Hair Salon Suite by Koichi Futatsumata/C…ase-Real
- R1T Flat by Paritzki & Liani Architects
- Contemporary Craftsmanship by CuldeSac f…or Hermès
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories