News: Finnish studio Rintala Eggertsson Architects is constructing a twenty-ton treehouse for Swedish hotel Treehotel.
Named the Five Leaf Clover, the structure will join the cluster of treehouse hotel rooms that make up the Treehotel, which is located amongst the forests in Harads, northern Sweden.
The room was designed by Rintala Eggertsson Architects to be the largest of the Treehotel's six treehouses. At twenty tons, it will be almost three times as heavy as the seven-ton Cabin room and construction is already underway.
"At Treehotel we always strive to push limits with our environmental work, architecture and engineering," said co-founder Kent Lindvall. "The Five Leaf Clover is clear evidence of this, as nothing remotely similar has ever been done before."
The building will be attached to six pine trees and hover six metres above the ground, so visitors will have to climb a two-storey-high staircase to enter.
Above: floor plan - click above for larger image
The 53-square-metre suite will contain three bedrooms and will sleep up to six guests, but could also be used as a conference room for up to twelve people. The exterior is being clad in weathered steel, while the interior is being lined with plywood.
The project is due to complete before Christmas.
- The Surreal House by Carmody Groarke
- Gallery extension proposal by 5468796 …"recreates the quality of light of a rainforest"
- Timber gallery sits above the veranda …of Salmela Architect's lakeside retreat
- Tigh Port na Long by Dualchas Architec…ts
- Moon Hoon creates an urban greenhouse …on a narrow Seoul plot
- House T by Takeshi Hamada
- Cloverdale749 apartments by LOHA featu…re balconies screened by perforated metal panels
- Konstantin Schmölzer at Vienna Design… Week
- Black Slit House by Three.Ball.Cascade
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories