In this movie filmed by Dezeen, British designer Benjamin Hubert explains why he placed a double-length second hand over the pleated face of Plicate, his first watch for Italian accessories brand NAVA, which is available from Dezeen Watch Store now.
Plicate was designed with a "distinctive language" of faceted textures, Hubert explains in the movie. The watch has a series of pleats on its face, with each of the folds representing one second.
The second hand stretches across the diameter of the watch face in a contrasting colour. "Our idea was to make it double-length so you have a real piece of sculpture moving around the watch," he says.
"If you have a second hand on a watch it's really a decorative feature, particularly on an analogue watch," he adds. "So why not make that more extreme, make that more decorative?"
The time-adjustment dial and back of the watch strap echo the faceted texture of the face, while the asymmetric clasp is inspired by festival wristbands.
- 100% Inspiration: Jamie Anley
- Autumn Winter 2013 collection by Jaimee …McKenna
- 3012 Series by Mats Lönngren for Hygge
- From Here For Here by Ariane Prin
- Very Specific cutlery by Lee Ben David d…esigned for specific foods
- Eat Drink Design at Dutch Design Week
- Gord Peteran at Cranbrook Art Museum
- Veronika Gombert's Umleiter lamp hangs o…ffset from its ceiling rose
- Heinz Mack installs towering golden colu…mns on a Venetian island
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories