In this movie filmed by Dezeen, British designer Benjamin Hubert explains why he placed a double-length second hand over the pleated face of Plicate, his first watch for Italian accessories brand NAVA, which is available from Dezeen Watch Store now.
Plicate was designed with a "distinctive language" of faceted textures, Hubert explains in the movie. The watch has a series of pleats on its face, with each of the folds representing one second.
The second hand stretches across the diameter of the watch face in a contrasting colour. "Our idea was to make it double-length so you have a real piece of sculpture moving around the watch," he says.
"If you have a second hand on a watch it's really a decorative feature, particularly on an analogue watch," he adds. "So why not make that more extreme, make that more decorative?"
The time-adjustment dial and back of the watch strap echo the faceted texture of the face, while the asymmetric clasp is inspired by festival wristbands.
- Link by PearsonLloyd
- Join Table by Ding3000
- Gravity Pearl by NOSIGNER
- Viktor & Rolf Autumn Winter 2013 scenogr…aphy by Studio Job
- Titanic by Luka Or for Monkey Business
- City Series and Studio Line by Michael Y…oung for Zixag
- Boombench by NL Architects
- NOVA Shoe by Zaha Hadid for United Nude
- On the Rock vessels by Lee Broom to laun…ch at Milan dinner party
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories