The fourth and final movie from our series featuring the architecture of Slovenian studio OFIS Arhitekti features Shopping Roof Apartments, an apartment block on the roof of a shopping market in the Alpine village of Bohinjska Bistrica.
Completed in 2007, the apartments were designed by OFIS Arhitekti on an L-shaped plan around a rooftop courtyard. This layout opens up views of the mountains to the south and allows as much sunlight as possible to reach each residence.
Diagonal rows of grey slate tiles clad the building's pitched roof and wrap down onto some of the walls, protecting them from damage by strong winds and snow.
West-facing balconies also need shelter from the weather and sit within recesses in the facade.
The architects used locally sourced larch for the other elevations, adding vertical panels across the walls and chunky slats around the balconies.
Dezeen first revealed images of Shopping Roof Apartments when it was first completed, alongside an apartment block based on local Alpine hayracks.
Photography is by Tomaz Gregoric.
Above: first floor plan - click above to see larger image
Above: second floor plan - click above to see larger image
Above: third floor plan - click above to see larger image
Above: roof plan - click above to see larger image
Above: section A - click above to see larger image
Above: section B - click above to see larger image
- Une Architecture at the Mobile Art Pavil…ion by Zaha Hadid
- Kokura Tanaka House by Akinari Tanaka, P…OI, Nawakenjimu and Lapin
- Epean Studio by Fei Wang
- Renovated house turned around to face th…e sun by Architecture Architecture
- Television Cultural Centre by OMA
- Shaken Office by Zerodegree Architecture
- New Pinterest board: Herzog & de Meuron
- Townhouse in Lisbon by ARX Portugal
- Up at the O2 by Rogers Stirk Harbour + P…artners and Bblur Architecture
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories