The fourth and final movie from our series featuring the architecture of Slovenian studio OFIS Arhitekti features Shopping Roof Apartments, an apartment block on the roof of a shopping market in the Alpine village of Bohinjska Bistrica.
Completed in 2007, the apartments were designed by OFIS Arhitekti on an L-shaped plan around a rooftop courtyard. This layout opens up views of the mountains to the south and allows as much sunlight as possible to reach each residence.
Diagonal rows of grey slate tiles clad the building's pitched roof and wrap down onto some of the walls, protecting them from damage by strong winds and snow.
West-facing balconies also need shelter from the weather and sit within recesses in the facade.
The architects used locally sourced larch for the other elevations, adding vertical panels across the walls and chunky slats around the balconies.
Dezeen first revealed images of Shopping Roof Apartments when it was first completed, alongside an apartment block based on local Alpine hayracks.
Photography is by Tomaz Gregoric.
Above: first floor plan - click above to see larger image
Above: second floor plan - click above to see larger image
Above: third floor plan - click above to see larger image
Above: roof plan - click above to see larger image
Above: section A - click above to see larger image
Above: section B - click above to see larger image
- London Without Bees by Ben Kirk
- Villa Bussum by GROUP A
- Heneghan Peng's Greenwich architecture s…chool has a restrained exterior and a modern interior
- Simon Astridge opts for a variety of raw… materials in Balham House extension
- Tama Art University Library by Toyo Ito
- Shanshui City exhibition by Ma Yansong
- House in Ookayama by Torafu Architects
- House with Eaves and an Attic by ON desi…gn
- Innovation Tower at Hong Kong Polytechni…c University by Zaha Hadid
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories