News: a project to bring cheap and easy-to-build mine detonators to Afghan minefields has just nine days left to raise the final £14,000 of its £100,000 goal on crowdfunding website Kickstarter.
Light enough to be propelled by the wind, the detonator is also heavy enough to set off mines as it rolls over them with its round feet, as Hassani explains in this movie filmed by Dezeen at the Design Academy Eindhoven My Way talks in Milan last year (below).
"Every ball has GPS navigation integrated into it," he says. "You can see the balls on the internet, so you can see where they went and how many mines they touched. You can also select an area and it will calculate how safe the area is."
With each detonation the Mine Kafon loses only a few legs, so it can destroy three or four landmines in one journey. The construction is modular so components that return in one piece can easily be reused and sent out again.
Hassani's team is hoping to raise £100,000 through Kickstarter to cover the cost of engineering, fabrication and transportation to an affected region, as well as making a short documentary.
Trend forecaster Li Edelkoort commented on Mine Kafon during her Dezeen Live talk during London Design Festival last year, noting that the design originated from a paper toy Hassani had played with in his youth. "It’s a mine killer, but it's completely organic and very cheap," she said, adding, "it’s very beautiful how a childhood toy can become such an amazing device."
Above: Hassani introduces Mine Kafon in this movie for Kickstarter
We've featured many projects launched on Kickstarter, including squishy headgear that lets you take a power nap wherever you are and a watch strap for an iPod Nano that raised $1 million on the crowdfunding website.
Photographs are by Massoud Hassani.
- Armadillo-T foldable electric micro-car …by KAIST
- Star-shaped clothes horse by Aaron Dunke…rton
- Concrete collection by Matali Crasset fo…r Concrete by LCDA
- Seasons by Valentin Loellmann
- The Natural Blonde by Sister by Sibling
- Interactive fashion films at POST exhibi…tion respond to movement of gallery visitors
- Honken furniture for Blå Station is des…igned to acquire "a beautiful patina of history"
- My Beautiful Backside by Doshi Levien
- Log Table by Trust in Design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories