Garments hang from a wall-mounted wooden grid inside this Osaka fashion boutique that Japanese studio Ninkipen! has recently completed (+ slideshow).
The store for Japanese fashion brand Ring has an L-shaped plan and the wooden structure wraps the prominent inside corner to create a flexible display hanger.
"We tried to create uniqueness in this shop by maximizing the potential of the given space," said Ninkipen! founder Imazu Yasuo.
Cement boards line the two walls behind this grid, contrasting with the white-painted surfaces of the remaining walls.
Fluorescent lighting tubes hang from the ceiling on wires to illuminate the space from above. "Utilising the high ceilings, they light the whole space uniformly," explained Yasuo.
Additional garments are presented on glass tabletops and within recesses in the walls.
Ring Osaka is located in the Herbis Plaza shopping centre.
Ninkipen! have previously worked on various shop fit-outs, including a clothing shop with fake doors and a bakery where bread is displayed on a wooden sleeper. See more stories about design by Ninkipen! »
Above: floor plan
Photography is by Hiroko Kawata.
- "It's just as hard to do a good interior… as it is to do a good building"
- Yingjia Club by Neri&Hu
- Historic Shanghai "gangsters' warehouse"… transformed into an office by Naturalbuild
- Noma FoodLab by 3XN
- Ayres Store by Dieguez Fridman Arquitect…os & Asociados
- Lords South Beach by BHDM
- Feel the Difference by NL Architects
- Vassall Road Housing & Medical Centre by… Tony Fretton Architects
- Meguro office space by Nendo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories