Designer Faye Toogood talks through her installation of 49 workers' coats hanging above the street in the first of this series of movies we filmed about the Seven Designers for Seven Dials aerial installations curated by Dezeen.
"For me it was really about celebrating trades that have been lost in this amazing part of London which has a rich history," says Toogood.
Each of the handmade over-sized coats covered in industrial paint is labelled with the name of a trade, such as brewer, potter or puppeteer, that used to take place in the Seven Dials area of London.
Dezeen commissioned seven young designers to create seven installations to hang above the streets of Covent Garden during last year's London Design Festival, and Toogood's 7x7 installation was located on Monmouth Street.
Photos are by Mark Cocksedge.
- Lamp OOO by Sergio Mannino and Jan Habra…ken
- Driverless cars designed for use as mobi…le offices
- Nike 1 World AF1 by Maharam with Hella J…ongerius
- Wiel Arets for Alessi
- Foster + Partners for Emeco
- ITSOK Fluorescents by Sighn
- Bow Bins by Cordula Kehrer for Areaware
- Chassis by Stefan Diez for Wilkhahn
- "We need to redefine the sleep cycle" sa…ys architect Jürgen Mayer H
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories