Neon lights and steel panels make the interior of this Barcelona launderette look more like a nightclub (+ slideshow).
Local interior designer Frederic Perers used steel panels to box in the washing machines and dryers at the rear of the shop.
"The orange tone everywhere reflects in the steel and serves as a warm counter element to the coldness of the metal," explained Perers.
Along the side wall, glossy white tiles reflect the colourful lights.
Customers can wait for their laundry on the wooden benches and fold their clothes on the wooden countertops.
Neon lights frame the entrance and bounce off the white walls inside.
White lights shine through the gaps in the false ceiling of gridded black panels.
We've previously featured moth-repelling furniture for laundry rooms and clothes hangers that clean your garments with charcoal.
We've published lots of projects in Barcelona, including a restaurant where huge wicker lampshades hang over the tables and a pizzeria that looks like a warehouse full of boxes and containers – see all architecture and interiors in Barcelona.
Photographs are by Pau Faus.
Here's some more information from the designer:
We have selected steel as the vertical surface element in the area of washing machines and dryers, which disappear under it. The orange tone, everywhere, reflects in the steel and serves as a warm counter element to the coldness of the metal. The remaining areas are treated with neutral elements: shiny white tiles -commonly used in spaces with water, light coloured floor and a false ceiling made with black vertical plates. The long length lay-out of the floor is interrumpted by counters for folding clothes, the waiting areas, and entertainment zone. At the entrance, neon lights are used as an element of communication and the shop window playfully appears to be supported by clothslines.
Above: floor plan
Interior design: Frederic Perers
Graphic design: Gemma Alberich
Year of completion: 2012
Area: 80 m2
- XLMS extends 19th-century stone house in… Mallorca to create a holiday home
- RGB by Carnovsky
- Kloke shop interior features copper clot…hes rails and wooden display units by Sibling
- New Pinterest board: apartments
- Nike UK Headquarters redesign by Rosie L…ee
- Antonino Cardillo combines scent and tex…ture for Illuminum Fragrance shop interior
- Clive Wilkinson's office for The Barbari…an Group is "one huge table through a room"
- B.E. Architecture's "relaxed" office for… a mortgage broker uses soft lighting and frosted glass
- KIZUKI + LIM by Teruhiro Yanagihara
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories