Product news: Dutch design duo Daphna Laurens carved diamond-shaped grids into these wooden chopping boards and tables (+ slideshow).
Daphna Laurens' Grid Plank collection comprises four beech chopping boards in different sizes, with a smooth side for preparing food and a decorative gridded side for serving.
The Grid Table has powder-coated steel legs and an angular beech top, which is shaped to reflect the diamond grid pattern carved on its surface.
Other products by the same designers include a set of cork and aluminium storage containers and a leaning floor lamp that looks like it's peeking through a wall – see all design by Daphna Laurens.
Here's some information from Daphna Laurens:
The shapes of all four 'cut and serve' Grid Planks originate from Daphna Laurens' grid studies, one of many methods for the design studio to devise form and shape. Varying in size and grid, all planks are designed to be clear-cut functional and aesthetically alluring, without adding unneeded materials or 'handy' accessories.
"Cut on the smooth, serve on the grid side." Use the plank like this and it will persist in being neat and tidy for a very long time. Oiling the beech wooden plank once in a while, using grape seed or alternative thin non-smelling oil extends its durable use. A 'how to treat' specification comes with every Grid Plank.
Four different shapes, about 40 mm thick beech wood and grips for easy handling. Grid Plank 300X300, Grid Plank 300X400, Grid Plank 300X525 (two grid types available), Grid Plank 200X600
While working on the design of the Grid Plank (Inventory collection) and Gitter (wooden dwelling for concept store YOU ARE HERE) the idea to create the Grid Table arose. Like the Grid Plank, the shape of the table originates from Daphna Laurens' 'grid studies'. Meaning that the grid determines the outer shape of the table.
Constructed from beech wood and powder-coated steel, this version of the Grid Table is sized: 200 X 120 X 75 centimetres. Both the steel frame as well as the tabletop is separable into manageable parts.
- Facette watch by KiBiSi for Bulbul arr…ives at Dezeen Watch Store
- Philippe Malouin creates "super soft" …foam chair for Established & Sons
- Tavolo Cobogó by the Campana Brothers
- Weave Bookcase by Chicako Ibaraki for …Casamania
- Kristina Cranfeld amplifies and distor…ts facial expressions with Ownership of the Face masks
- Bart Hess recruits public to create be…spoke textile production line in Milan installation
- Designers of the Future reveal interac…tive jellyfish and tools for space exploration
- Jan Habraken and Alissia Melka-Teichro…ew at Peel Gallery
- Interview: K01 by Marc Newson for Pent…ax
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories