Milan 2013: industrial designer Konstantin Grcic is showing angular wooden stools and tables for Italian brand Mattiazzi at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile.
Grcic's stools and side tables are held up by an angled support that is stabilised by two more legs jutting out on either side, with all three tapering towards the ground. Two wings form the seats of the stools, while the slightly taller tables are topped with disks.
Both items have been developed to follow the design of Grcic's Medici chair, which was first released last year and has been shortlisted for the Design Museum's 2013 Design of the Year prize. The wooden pieces are painted in red or yellow, or stained dark brown to enhance the grain.
Along with the Medici collection, Mattiazzi is debuting seats inspired by camping furniture by Jasper Morrison and stools with T-shaped backs by Industrial Facility at their stand at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile - E23, Hall 20. Grcic will also be exhibiting his bench system based on Mies van der Rohe's Barcelona chair at the trade fair.
- Marlène Huissoud uses insect by-product…s to develop new materials
- Otto by Paolo Cappello for Miniforms
- Marija Puipaitė shapes Embracing Touch …seats with the outline of her legs
- Tonale by David Chipperfield for Alessi
- Scary Beautiful by Leanie van der Vyver
- Juuri by Sarah Böttger
- Furniture by Atelier Van Lieshout at Car…penters Workshop Gallery
- Something designs lamp for Ligne Roset t…o look like a bellflower
- Nendo's latest umbrella hides a cover in… its handle
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories