News: American architect Rick Mather, whose projects included the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, UK, and the masterplan for London's Southbank, has died aged 75.
Nominated for the Stirling Prize in 2010 for his extension to the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology at the University of Oxford, Mather's practice also designed masterplans for several universities across the UK.
His other award-winning work included the £20 million extension to the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, London, which won a Civic Trust Award after its completion in 1999, the same year he completed an extension to Dulwich Picture Gallery in south London and was appointed to masterplan the city's Southbank development.
More recently he completed an extension to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia, USA.
Photograph is by Andy Matthews.
- Quinta Monroy by Alejandro Aravena
- Herzog & de Meuron and Hassell triumph i…n Melbourne station competition
- The Modern Seaweed House by Vandkunsten …and Realdania Byg
- Creative Units at Aberystwyth Arts Centr…e by Thomas Heatherwick
- Honsinzi House by SPLK contrasts cement …panels with local stone
- Private House by Rui Grazina
- New building for the University of Leipz…ig by Erick van Egeraat
- Sheraton Milan Malpensa Hotel by King Ro…selli Architetti
- The Golden Age: Somewhere by Paul Nichol…ls
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories