News: American architect Rick Mather, whose projects included the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, UK, and the masterplan for London's Southbank, has died aged 75.
Nominated for the Stirling Prize in 2010 for his extension to the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology at the University of Oxford, Mather's practice also designed masterplans for several universities across the UK.
His other award-winning work included the £20 million extension to the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, London, which won a Civic Trust Award after its completion in 1999, the same year he completed an extension to Dulwich Picture Gallery in south London and was appointed to masterplan the city's Southbank development.
More recently he completed an extension to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia, USA.
Photograph is by Andy Matthews.
- OceanScope by AnL Studio
- Philippe Starck's new home is the protot…ype for a new prefab housing collection
- WA House by MAPA references colonial-sty…le Chilean residences
- Architecture Atelier Akio Takatsuka divi…des Quad House into unequal sections
- Shirokane House by MDS concealed behind …windowless concrete facade
- Top Towers by Konigsberger & Vannucchi
- House in Ofuna by Level Architects
- Álvaro Siza: "Emotion is very important…" in architecture
- Casa Alta by AS/D Asociación de Diseño
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories