News: American architect Rick Mather, whose projects included the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, UK, and the masterplan for London's Southbank, has died aged 75.
Nominated for the Stirling Prize in 2010 for his extension to the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology at the University of Oxford, Mather's practice also designed masterplans for several universities across the UK.
His other award-winning work included the £20 million extension to the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, London, which won a Civic Trust Award after its completion in 1999, the same year he completed an extension to Dulwich Picture Gallery in south London and was appointed to masterplan the city's Southbank development.
More recently he completed an extension to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia, USA.
Photograph is by Andy Matthews.
- Intertwining staircases spiral around th…e glazed core of Hiroshi Nakamura's Ribbon Chapel
- Teruel-zilla! by Mi5 Arquitectos, and PK…MN Architectures
- Ortona Cemetery by Giovani Vaccarini
- Design Miami temporary structure by Aran…da\Lasch
- Lenbachhaus museum by Foster + Partners
- Absalon by Denzer & Poensgen
- Orchard House by Studio Octopi
- Bathing Beauties
- Deco Pattern House by Peter Kostelov
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories