News: American architect Rick Mather, whose projects included the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, UK, and the masterplan for London's Southbank, has died aged 75.
Nominated for the Stirling Prize in 2010 for his extension to the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology at the University of Oxford, Mather's practice also designed masterplans for several universities across the UK.
His other award-winning work included the £20 million extension to the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, London, which won a Civic Trust Award after its completion in 1999, the same year he completed an extension to Dulwich Picture Gallery in south London and was appointed to masterplan the city's Southbank development.
More recently he completed an extension to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia, USA.
Photograph is by Andy Matthews.
- Slovakian house by JRKVC features a glaz…ed gable wall
- Artfarm by HHF Architects and Ai Weiwei
- White Cone House creates daylit homes on… a restricted Seoul site
- Southcape golf clubhouse by Mass Studies… features curving concrete canopies
- Tetris Apartments by OFIS Arhitekti
- Aluminium-clad Rebel House by MONO refle…cts the colours of its surroundings
- Krampon house by Shogo Aratani climbs ov…er a rocky site
- Zoological Park of St Petersburg by TN P…lus and Beckmann-N'Thépé
- House in Fujizakura by Case Design Studi…o
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories