News: American architect Rick Mather, whose projects included the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, UK, and the masterplan for London's Southbank, has died aged 75.
Nominated for the Stirling Prize in 2010 for his extension to the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology at the University of Oxford, Mather's practice also designed masterplans for several universities across the UK.
His other award-winning work included the £20 million extension to the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, London, which won a Civic Trust Award after its completion in 1999, the same year he completed an extension to Dulwich Picture Gallery in south London and was appointed to masterplan the city's Southbank development.
More recently he completed an extension to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia, USA.
Photograph is by Andy Matthews.
- House made of solid stone in Lyon by Per…raudin Architecture
- Museo ABC by Aranguren + Gallegos
- BMW Welt by Coop Himmelb[l]au
- Abu Dhabi World Trade Center by Foster +… Partners
- California Academy of Sciences by Renzo …Piano Building Workshop
- Next-Gene 20 by various architects
- HOUS.E+ by Polifactory
- Profile House by BLOXAS
- Clio Capeille imagines architecture that… can only be used at night
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories