The armrests of these chairs by Swedish designers Claesson Koivisto Rune reach out as though asking for a hug.
"The friendly and welcoming gesture, seen most clearly in the ‘open-armed’ position of the armrests, is meant as a universal invitation, saying 'come, sit with me a while and I’ll put you at ease,'" say the designers.
The upholstered seat, backrest and arms sit on a wooden plinth supported by legs in a contrasting colour.
The Hug collection includes a dining chair, a lower side chair and a high-backed club chair that's more enclosed.
Arflex presented the pieces at Salone Internazionale del Mobile in Milan last month, where Claesson Koivisto Rune also showed top-heavy chairs inspired by the work of American minimalist artist Ellsworth Kelly for Italian furniture brand Tacchini. See more design by Claesson Koivisto Rune.
Meanwhile Spanish designer Jaime Hayón presented another chair with outstretched arms for Danish brand &tradition.
- Designs by Marcel Wanders and Studio Job… feature in Moooi's latest collection
- Thread patterns cover blown-glass tablew…are by Jun Murakoshi
- Tom Dixon to give away 1,000 lights
- Nike GS football boot by Nike
- Designed in Hackney: TN29 by Le Gun and …Tracey Neuls
- Dezeen Watch Store January sale
- Confession by Nick Ross
- Patch Project by Beza Projekt
- Molecules by Aqua Creations and Ilan Gar…ibi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories