The armrests of these chairs by Swedish designers Claesson Koivisto Rune reach out as though asking for a hug.
"The friendly and welcoming gesture, seen most clearly in the ‘open-armed’ position of the armrests, is meant as a universal invitation, saying 'come, sit with me a while and I’ll put you at ease,'" say the designers.
The upholstered seat, backrest and arms sit on a wooden plinth supported by legs in a contrasting colour.
The Hug collection includes a dining chair, a lower side chair and a high-backed club chair that's more enclosed.
Arflex presented the pieces at Salone Internazionale del Mobile in Milan last month, where Claesson Koivisto Rune also showed top-heavy chairs inspired by the work of American minimalist artist Ellsworth Kelly for Italian furniture brand Tacchini. See more design by Claesson Koivisto Rune.
Meanwhile Spanish designer Jaime Hayón presented another chair with outstretched arms for Danish brand &tradition.
- Designed in Hackney: Luminous Lace by Lo…op.pH
- Established & Sons and Venini
- Boiled-leather products by Simon Hasan
- Imogen Heap's music gloves could help di…sabled people "fulfil what's in their head"
- Moleskine Livescribe Notebooks transfer …ideas from paper to screen
- Tables by Zaha Hadid for Citco
- Philco PC by SchultzeWORKS
- Tom Dixon launches "minimal and geometri…c" Plane light collection
- Studio Swine's Meteorite Shoes simulate …space debris
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories