Product news: Australian company DesignByThem has added a range of bright recycled-plastic chairs to its collection.
Like the studio's earlier Butter Stool, the Butter Chair is made of 100% recycled HDPE plastic, mainly composed of milk containers and factory waste.
“We created the original Butter Stool in a response to the many plastic stools available today that use virgin non-recycled materials," say designers Nicholas Karlovasitis and Sarah Gibson of DesignByThem.
"Although these stools are recyclable they are only adding more material to the recycling stream. That is why the Butter Stool and Chair are not only recyclable but also made from post-consumer recycled plastic."
DesignByThem also offers a product stewardship program, where it takes back products to be either repaired, reused or recycled.
The chair is suitable for indoor and outdoor use, and comes flat-packed in a range of mix-and-match colours: yellow, orange, red, blue, grey, green, white and biege.
Karlovasitis and Gibson met whilst studying at university and formed DesignByThem in 2006. Their collection is now expanding to include the work of other Australian designers.
Photos are by Pete Daly.
- Note Design Studio creates Plateau stora…ge unit to keep the hallway tidy
- Harry by Eric Jourdan for Ligne Roset
- Fondue lamp shaped like a cheese-melting… pot by Luca Nichetto
- Federico Babina's Archizoom transforms i…conic buildings into movie posters
- Alle by Luca Nichetto for Skitsch
- What Can You Bring to the Table by stude…nts from Lund University
- Receipt redesign by BERG
- Omer Polak and Michal Evyatar blow dough… into balloons to create colourful snacks
- Styrene by Paul Cocksedge for the Stepne…y Green Design Collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories