News: Facebook has announced that Frank Gehry will design a new office in New York for its engineering team.
The collaboration with Frank Gehry, who is also working on Facebook's new Silicon Valley campus, was announced in a note posted on the company's website by Serkan Piantino, site director for Facebook New York's engineering team.
He said the new offices would "share many of the features of [Facebook's] headquarters, but will be distinctly Big Apple in design and speak to the unique experience of working in a place like Manhattan."
Gehry's design will provide employees with "big, open spaces for people to work and collaborate, and lots of room for conference rooms and cozy spaces where people can meet or grab a white board to talk through ideas on a whim," Piantino added.
The 9300-square-metre office will cover two floors of an existing building in the city, reported to be 770 Broadway in lower Manhattan, which is currently home to companies including AOL and the Huffington Post.
Scheduled for early 2014, the move will double the size of the firm's engineering offices, which are currently based at 335 Madison Avenue, and will also accommodate sales, marketing, communications and design teams.
Dezeen was in New York recently as part of our Dezeen and MINI World Tour, where designer Stephen Burks took us on a tour of New York's new high-profile architecture and explained how the city's inhabitants are becoming more interested in quality of life.
- The Traffic of Clouds by Hackenbroich Ar…chitekten
- Lolita by Langarita-Navarro Arquitectos
- New Designers awards 2008
- W Hotels Designers of the Future at Desi…gn Miami/Basel 2010
- Huge glowing letters lead inside El Té …tea house by Estudio 30 51
- Tai & Architectural Design keeps it simp…le for Taipei apartment interior
- Fiu Fiu Boutique by Mateusz Adamczyk and… Marcin Kwietowicz
- Het Arresthuis hotel in a former prison …by Van der Valk hotels
- Illoiha Omotesando climbing wall by Nend…o
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories