News: Zaha Hadid has masterplanned a 276-hectare site beside a lagoon in Izmir for Turkey's bid to host the World Expo 2020.
Located just outside the city centre, the site is part of the Inciralti region designated as a future tourist destination and renowned for its hot springs. Zaha Hadid's designs would transform the region into one of Europe’s largest urban recreation areas and it would remain as a public park once the fair was over.
The theme for the fair is entitled New Routes to a Better World/Health for All and will focus on mental and physical well-being as well as the well-being of society and the environment. The site and its surrounding infrastructure are thus designed to be environmentally friendly with a low carbon footprint.
Izmir narrowly missed out to Milan on the bid for the Expo 2015, while its competitors for the 2020 fair are São Paulo in Brazil, Yekaterinburg in Russia, Ayutthaya in Thailand and Dubai. The Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) General Assembly in Paris is expected to reveal the winning city in November.
Image by Methanoia.
- Driverless cars will "capture a virtual …replica of the real world," says Pernilla Ohrstedt
- Wonderwall House by SO
- Tori Tori Restaurant by Rojkind Arquitec…tos and Hector Esrawe
- Civil Courts of Justice in Madrid by Zah…a Hadid
- House in Serra de Janeanes by João Bran…co
- Parking Lot by N+B Architectes
- Metal-clad house in Japan by Eto Kenta c…onceals its garden
- Movie: UK Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010… by Thomas Heatherwick
- 10 Hills Place by Amanda Levete Architec…ts
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories