Product news: one coloured glass bubble sits within another to form these lanterns by Norwegian designer Kristine Five Melvær (+ slideshow).
Kristine Five Melvær's candle holders comprise a more opaque smaller inner bubble that holds the tea light, with a transparent outer layer that disperses the candle glow. Pairs of colours create a third hue where the layers overlap.
During the lighter summer months the glassware can be used as vases for flowers.
The most recent candle holders on Dezeen include a chunky designs made from a compound of stone and resin and a series that look like bent pipes poking through a wall.
Photos are by Erik Five Gunnerud.
Here's some extra information from the designer:
The lantern Multi consists of two glass bubbles, one of them outside the other. The opaque inner bubble gives the light source an organic shape. The transparent outer bubble captures and exhibits the light. The two intersecting colors creates a new, more complex hue. Multi can also be used as a vase or as a light sculpture that interprets sunlight as color on the table. Multi's function changes during the year. In the dark months the object glows. In the bright months the object displays the sunlight and flowers.
Multi is exhibited for the first time as part of the exhibition On Time at the Norwegian Centre for Design and Architecture from the 21st of June to the 25th of August 2013. The exhibition is curated by Klubben (Norwegian Designers Union). It is an exhibition about time, situations and objects. Nineteen Norwegian designers interprets 17 moments within 24 hours through 17 brand new objects.
Kristine Five Melvær developed the Multi lantern in cooperation with Magnor Glassverk, a Norwegian glass company. Multi will be developed further and launched as part of their collection.
- An Alarm by Industrial Facility at Dezee…n Watch Store
- Alcarol traps natural materials in resin… to form New Visions furniture collection
- Hyperion Spotlight by Paul Heijnen
- Dezeen and designjunction launch map of… West End Design Quarter 2014
- Ghost-like Architecture by Shingo Masuda… and Katsuhisa Otsubo Architects
- Philippe Nigro designs rounded sofa for …Ligne Roset
- Furniture by Benjamin Hubert for De La E…spada
- HM4 Thunderbolt by Maximilian Büsser
- Polska Folk at Tent London
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories