Dezeen archive: this week Zaha Hadid unveiled a pair of shoes featuring striations - parallel ridges like those carved into rock by a glacier. Striations and strata - horizontal layers of material such as sedimentary rocks - are common inspirations for today's architects, as this archive of geologically inspired projects shows (+ slideshow).
See more about the projects in the slideshow above - as well as many others - by clicking on the image above or scrolling through our strata and striations tag.
Projects include Yinchuan Art Museum by Chinese architects WAA, the form of which is derived from the layers of sediment that have built up over centuries at the museum's location close to the Yellow River.
The form of Dolomitenblick by Plasma Studio is based on the topography of the surrounding Dolomite mountains in northern Italy.
The King Abdullah II House of Culture by Zaha Hadid Architects is inspired by eroded rock formations at Petra in Jordan.
The marble podium created by Mathieu Lehanneur at the St Hilaire Church in Melle, France is based on the strata of sedimentary rock upon which the church is built.
And here are the shoes by Zaha Hadid that feature geological-style striations - a common theme in her work.
- Dar Hi by Matali Crasset
- 8 House by BIG
- Aurillac concert venue by Brisac Gonzale…z
- Dezeen's top architecture quotes of 2014
- Reiulf Ramstad creates three glass-front…ed cabins as Norwegian holiday home
- Energy Roof Perugia by Coop Himmelb(l)au
- Creative Dismantling by espai MGR
- Le Corbusier’s Cabanon - the interior …1:1
- Dapto Anglican Church Auditorium by Silv…ester Fuller
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories