News: the UK government wants to ban drivers from using Google's augmented reality eyewear ahead of the 2014 release, amid safety concerns.
The government department responsible for the British transport system told the gadget magazine that it has taken pre-emptive steps to ban drivers from using the device.
"We are aware of the impending rollout of Google Glass and are in discussion with the Police to ensure that individuals do not use this technology while driving," a DfT spokesperson told the magazine.
Should the law be approved, drivers caught using the glasses - which allow users to send and receive messages, take pictures and search the web hands-free - could incur a £60 fixed penalty notice and three points on their driver's license, the same as for using a mobile phone.
"It is important that drivers give their full attention to the road when they are behind the wheel," the Department of Transport spokesperson said. "A range of offences and penalties already exist to tackle those drivers who do not pay proper attention to the road including careless driving, which will become a fixed penalty offence later this year."
The UK government banned drivers from using hand-held mobile phones in 2003, and has convicted millions of people since it was introduced.
Earlier this year, Google unveiled a video preview of what it will be like to wear the voice-controlled headset.
- 3D-printed sculptures create optical ill…usions using the Fibonacci sequence
- Paper Pulp Helmet by Tom Gottelier, Bobb…y Petersen and Ed Thomas
- Headpiece monitors sensory responses to …digital content for intuitive bookmarking
- Bioluminescent lamp by ￼Teresa van Don…gen glows blue with octopus bacteria
- Stone Spray Robot by Anna Kulik, Inder S…hergill and Petr Novikov
- Car design and production could "start t…o show biological adaptation and mutation"
- Biomimicry Shoe by Marieka Ratsma and Ko…stika Spaho
- Matthew Plummer-Fernandez to present "pe…rsonalised avatars for your vehicle"
- BioElectric by Jeongwon Ji
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories