The shelves in this furniture by design graduate Emiel Remmelts only stay up thanks to concrete blocks, bricks, a glass vase and magazine file boxes propping up one end.
Utrecht product design graduate Emiel Remmelts prototyped a bookcase and clothes rail in his Stacked Objects graduation project.
An ash wood frame forms one side of each piece, whilst the shelves require objects to be positioned on the other side to hold them in position.
"I wanted to create a product which was inspired by the construction of buildings," Remmelts told Dezeen. "During the design process, I experimented with many different materials, including bricks, concrete, tiles, steel, glass and wood."
"The objects in the shelving are used to create a dynamic composition, comparable to the method of creating a collage. Each composition is unique and defines the appearance of the shelves," Remmelts said.
Remmelts picked up one-off objects from flea markets, charity shops and building sites. "That way I'm forced to make new compositions with each shelf," he explained. "When I pass a building site, I alway look for new materials and inspiration."
Remmelts recently graduated from Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht in the Netherlands where he studied product design.
Other shelving systems we've published recently include an expanding shelving unit that can bunch up or stretch out and modular shelving built from tessellating blocks that can also be used as stools or tables. We have also featured a number of staircases that incorporate bookshelves.
Photographs are by Jasper Timmermans.
- Plastic bottles woven with wicker form C…himbarongo shades for PET Lamps project
- One Light Only by Lee Broom
- Lampada by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec
- Wave-shaped clothes rails keep items eve…nly spaced
- Paper rings by Tithi Kutchamuch and Nutr…e Arayavanish
- Inga Sempé adds functions to the clip l…amp for Wästberg
- Torafu Architects suspend bubbly balloon…s of light for Tokyo installation
- Today at Dezeen Platform: LingJing Yin, …Mark McKeague and Ting Chung Jessica Cheng
- Wank by Craig Alun Smith
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories