News: Kengo Kuma's latest proposals for a new outpost of the V&A museum in Dundee, Scotland, have been granted planning permission, following a redesign to reduce costs (+ slideshow).
Planned for construction in Dundee's Craig Harbour, Kengo Kuma's competition-winning design for the V&A at Dundee first gained approval in autumn 2012, but spiralling costs forced the architect to redesign the structure so that only its prow projects over the edge of the water, rather than the whole building as originally intended.
The £45 million building will be constructed on the site of a former leisure centre and will feature an angular body with thick horizontal striations, creating exhibition spaces that are naturally lit and ventilated. It is set to become the leading centre for design in Scotland.
Philip Long, director of V&A at Dundee, commented: "Kengo Kuma's fabulous design will give Dundee and Scotland a wonderful space to enjoy outstanding international exhibitions, and to learn about and get involved with Scotland's remarkable history of design creativity. I believe it will attract visitors from across the world."
Detailing the timeframe for construction, he said: "The projected date for the main fabric of the building to be in place is the end of 2015. Its completion, the interior fit-out and installation of the first exhibitions and displays will follow throughout 2016."
Kengo Kuma and Associates is working with Edinburgh studio Cre8 Architecture to deliver the project. The two studios won the original design competition back in 2010, seeing off competition from a shortlist that included Steven Holl Architects, Snøhetta and Delugan Meissl Associated Architects.
- Ogaki House by Katsutoshi Sasaki + Assoc…iates
- A pile of sand marks the entrance to Des…ign Miami
- 72 Collective Housing Units by LAN Archi…tecture
- Court of Sant Boi de Llobregat by BAAS A…rchitects
- SportPlaza Mercator by VenhoevenCS
- Private house near Moscow by Zaha Hadid
- Rivington Place by David Adjaye
- MAXXI_National Museum of the XXI Century… Arts by Zaha Hadid
- Concrete tower by Bechter Zaffignani hou…ses a control centre for an Austrian power station
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories