Pebble is the result of a collaboration between Jacob Juul of Danish watch brand Bulbul and KiBiSi. The design includes a distinctive asymmetric face that was inspired by the smooth contours of the pebbles found on Scandinavian beaches.
"Jacob asked us 'why are all watches round or square?', KiBiSi's head of design Lars Larsen told Dezeen, "and we decided to use this question as the starting point for the design."
He continued: "When you look at the watch the asymmetry is not the first thing that catches your eye. The shape feels familiar and not radical - it's 'off' in a balanced and delicate aesthetic way."
The timepiece, almost two years in the making, places emphasis on high quality craftsmanship and includes a double-sided Italian leather strap. "We wanted to make the product the brand and focus more on the piece" Lars said. "The watch becomes a piece of contemporary jewellery."
The dial is complemented by a minimal face and a unique injection-moulded silicone loop. "The loop functions as understated brand information but remains eye-catching," Lars added. "A traditional leather loop tends to soften and break over time; this solution is long lasting and durable."
Other features include a stainless-steel case topped with scratch resistant sapphire glass and a Ronda Swiss-made movement with a ten-year battery life.
Entrepreneur Jacob Juul launched Bulbul in Copenhagen this year. The brand name can be translated as nightingale in the Middle East and India, but can also refer to a small songbird with a distinctive mohawk.
Pebble is available at Dezeen Watch Store in four variations for £290.
- Water-catching device wins Arup competit…ion
- The knitting collection of Loes Veenstra… by Christien Meindertsma
- Flip Series by Daisuke Motogi Architectu…re for Sixinch Japan
- Leather Lampshades by Pepe Heykoop
- 3D weaving can "reduce cost and improve …structural integrity" in architecture
- "Bored" Chinese are turning from fashion… to furniture
- Intimacy 2.0by Studio Roosegaarde
- Fish Bowls by Roger Arquer
- TwentyTwo by Jaime Hayón for Ceccotti
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories