Graduate designer Paula O'Connor surrounded this table with net curtains to create a more intimate dining experience.
Paula O'Connor designed the Banquet table to encourage people to eat together, a notion she feels has been lost in contemporary society. "This concept is focused on creating an experience and encouraging an event around a table," she said.
A chunky chipboard surface sits on four angled white metal legs, which bend around to form posts that support the curtain rails. "Banquet is a statement piece which celebrates dining and symbolises a special ritual," said O'Connor. "It aims to evoke feelings of grandeur, intimacy and seclusion through a simple, pared-down aesthetic."
The removable sheer curtains let in light and allow diners to see out, while creating a cosier atmosphere inside. "The element of a detachable curtain offers a playful atmosphere, reminding the user of childhood experiences in tent and fort like structures," she added.
O'Connor graduated from the Furniture Design course at the Dublin Institute of Technology this year. The dining table forms part of her thesis project titled Dining Together Matters.
We've only just posted an installation based on fourteen different ways to replace a table leg, as well as a collection of tables and benches with surfaces made from materials chosen to age well.
Here are some extra details from Paula O'Connor:
Dining is an important ritual. For many, the act of dining and eating together has been lost. For several individuals, dining has been reduced to a rushed affair. We "eat" but do not engage in a dining experience.
In contemporary society, there are numerous factors to blame for this outcome. Increasingly, we see a large proportion of people eating on "the move".
"Dining Together Matters" cannot eliminate some of the factors which have caused the change, but it encourage s a different way. It celebrate s the joy of eating and dining. Establishing the importance of eating with others is core message this project.
- Paul Crofts launches Cu29 pendant light …based on copper pastry-cutting tools
- Lianes, Roches, Conques by Ronan & Erwan… Bouroullec at Galerie Kreo
- Van Eijk & Van der Lubbe design "an expe…rience in motion" for Volvo
- Movie: interview with Maarten De Ceulaer
- Hulger Indian Call Centre and The Replen…ishing Body movie
- Concentrated by Sruli Recht
- Mycelium Chair by Eric Klarenbeek is 3D-…printed with living fungus
- Afteroom presents three-legged chair and… stackable table for Menu
- Midi Colors by Lagranja Design for Sist…ema Midi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories