Movie: Designer Konstantin Grcic tells Dezeen that American furniture company Emeco had to industrialise its production methods to produce his new Parrish chair in this video interview filmed in Milan.
In the movie, Grcic explains that he approached Emeco to produce the chair because of its experience of working in aluminium, most famously with the iconic Navy Chair, which Emeco has produced since 1944.
"I felt we needed a company to support the development of the project," says Grcic.
"Emeco stands for chairs in aluminium and aluminium was the perfect material for the chair that we had in mind because the [Parrish Art Museum] is very open [to the elements]."
Unlike the Navy Chair, in which each piece is welded together by hand, the legs, armrests and backrest of the Parrish chair are all locked together by a single joint under the seat.
"Everything is mechanically joined to a central core, a piece of die-cast aluminium, which is really the heart of the chair," Grcic explains.
"So we have one moulded piece that solves all of the structure of the chair and the seat is exchangeable. You can have an upholstered seat, a plastic seat or a wooden seat."
Grcic says that he deliberately wanted to move Emeco away from the time-intensive production methods involved in producing the Navy Chair.
"I felt we should actually change the way [Emeco] makes chairs," he says. "Industrialise it, simplify it, eliminate all the dirty work, all the hand labour. That's what really informed the concept of the chair."
He concludes: "Emeco will always produce the Navy Chair in the way they produce it, but I think now we've established another form of production inside their company."
- The House of Viktor & Rolf at the Barbic…an
- "It was about celebrating trades that ha…ve been lost" - Faye Toogood
- Toggle Toggle by Dong-yeop Han
- Prater Chair by Marco Dessí
- Interacket by Drap og Design is a jacket… that changes colour like a chameleon
- From the Knees of my Nose to the Belly o…f my Toes by Alex Chinneck
- Shanty towns inspire panelled storage ca…binet by Doshi Levien
- Marc Newson for G-Star RAW
- Konstantin Grcic's Clerici seating joins… range for Mattiazzi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories