News: internet giant Google has unveiled a simplified logo that flattens its colours and ditches the drop shadow.
Following days of speculation, Google revealed the news in a blog post yesterday. The new logo will appear within a redesigned version of the search engine's homepage - the most visited website in the world.
"As part of this design, we’ve also refined the colour palette and letter shapes of the Google logo," wrote Eddie Kessler.
The new homepage will be rolled out to users in upcoming weeks and will feature a revised menu bar that groups links into an "app launcher" on the right-hand side of the page, rather than within the existing black menu bar.
Rumours first circulated earlier this month that Google was planning to update its logo, after the flatter version showed up in a beta version of Chrome for Android.
The new logo is more in line with the cleaner graphics and uncluttered interfaces of Apple's iOS 7 operating system, which was launched worldwide this week.
- Honken furniture for Blå Station is des…igned to acquire "a beautiful patina of history"
- Andromeda by Ross Lovegrove for Yamagiwa
- Höweler + Yoon Architecture installs a …glow-in-the-dark swing set in Boston
- The Underground Library by Keri Tan, Max… Pilwat and Ferdi Rodriguez
- Engineering Temporality chandelier by St…udio Markunpoika
- Beat vessels by Tom Dixon
- Etirement by Rémi Bouhaniche
- Lene Toni Kjeld at Salone Satellite
- Tom Dixon's Cog lights are shaped like m…achine components
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories