Reinier de Jong released two smaller versions of the bookcase, first designed for his son as miniature copies of the 2008 model. "Despite the iPad and its countless toddler apps, my two-year-old son is very fond of his little books," he said. "So I decided it was time for his own shelves."
Each unit is made from five lightweight, poplar wood sections that slot exactly into each other.
When pulled apart, compartments are created between the horizontal elements for storing small items. The sections can be pushed back together again to save space.
The original REK Bookcase was one of our most popular stories when we first featured it in 2008 and it's included in our Dezeen Book of Ideas. The design went into production earlier this year.
- BMW unveils Vision Future Luxury car wit…h augmented reality display
- Natura Jars by Héctor Serrano for La Me…diterránea
- Sergio concept car by Pininfarina
- Sam Pearce has "reinvented the wheel" by… replacing spokes with springs
- Slow White Series by Bo Reudler
- Colour Nativity by Sebastian Bergne
- Marlène Huissoud creates products with …the help of insects
- 2010 Around the World by Iwan Baan at Vi…lla Noailles
- Midi Colors by Lagranja Design for Sist…ema Midi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories