Reinier de Jong released two smaller versions of the bookcase, first designed for his son as miniature copies of the 2008 model. "Despite the iPad and its countless toddler apps, my two-year-old son is very fond of his little books," he said. "So I decided it was time for his own shelves."
Each unit is made from five lightweight, poplar wood sections that slot exactly into each other.
When pulled apart, compartments are created between the horizontal elements for storing small items. The sections can be pushed back together again to save space.
The original REK Bookcase was one of our most popular stories when we first featured it in 2008 and it's included in our Dezeen Book of Ideas. The design went into production earlier this year.
- What Design Can Do offers 15% off ticket…s for Dezeen readers
- Trash Luxe at Liberty
- DTILE by Peter van der Jagt, Erik Jan Kw…akkel and Arnout Visser
- Foster + Partners designs simple disc-sh…aped pendant lamp for Lumina
- Buzz chair by Bertjan Pot for Arco
- Array auditorium seats by Zaha Hadid for… Poltrona Frau Contract
- Yulia Yadryshnikova bases capsule fashio…n collection on Luca Nichetto's sofa cover
- Bookmark lamp by Léonard Kadid
- The Olympian Architects T-shirt by Peter… Murray at Dezeen Super Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories