Reinier de Jong released two smaller versions of the bookcase, first designed for his son as miniature copies of the 2008 model. "Despite the iPad and its countless toddler apps, my two-year-old son is very fond of his little books," he said. "So I decided it was time for his own shelves."
Each unit is made from five lightweight, poplar wood sections that slot exactly into each other.
When pulled apart, compartments are created between the horizontal elements for storing small items. The sections can be pushed back together again to save space.
The original REK Bookcase was one of our most popular stories when we first featured it in 2008 and it's included in our Dezeen Book of Ideas. The design went into production earlier this year.
- WashHouse by Studio Makkink & Bey
- Black Box by Marc Newson for Dom Péri…gnon
- Matali Crasset designs for children
- Naica ceramic lamp by Something for Li…gne Roset
- Global Street Food by Mike Meiré for …Dornbracht 2
- Lex Pott's True Colours vases contrast… oxidised and polished finishes
- Raw Edges Studio animates kitchen conc…ept for Caesarstone
- Litho by Thibault Desombre for Ligne R…oset
- ODO and CODO by Digital Forming
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories